NRMP waiver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PCPMama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read a few threads as well as the NRMP website on this, but still unsure what constitutes" extreme hardship"

In a nutshell: My spouse got an unexpected job right around the time final ROL were due. Another opportunity within that job came up after ROL were due - his dream job. I had a program in our home city ranked number 1, but matched number 2. Spouse will have to leave his current job and move to a city with a very poor market. In his industry, greater than 6 months out of work constitutes a major gap and doesn't look good - he has told me this could ruin his career at worst or at least un-do all he has worked for in the past 5 years. Before he got this job he was so unhappy at his former employer that he was ok with this, but now things are very different. We considered separating geographically so we could both pursue our careers, but we have a child and this makes that decision extremely difficult. Had this job opportunity come about sooner, I would have ranked my home program's IM as my number 2 and would be staying.

I am wondering if this is enough to constitute "extreme hardship" by the NRMP's standards. Should I contact my new PD about the situation? Any insight at all? I am fully willing to change specialties if it means we can move back to our home city for my husband's career.

Members don't see this ad.

I've read a few threads as well as the NRMP website on this, but still unsure what constitutes" extreme hardship"

In a nutshell: My spouse got an unexpected job right around the time final ROL were due. Another opportunity within that job came up after ROL were due - his dream job. I had a program in our home city ranked number 1, but matched number 2. Spouse will have to leave his current job and move to a city with a very poor market. In his industry, greater than 6 months out of work constitutes a major gap and doesn't look good - he has told me this could ruin his career at worst or at least un-do all he has worked for in the past 5 years. Before he got this job he was so unhappy at his former employer that he was ok with this, but now things are very different. We considered separating geographically so we could both pursue our careers, but we have a child and this makes that decision extremely difficult. Had this job opportunity come about sooner, I would have ranked my home program's IM as my number 2 and would be staying.
Unless you have talked to your home PD about your place on the rank list, this is speculation on your part. But if true, it does leave you a potential option in the future.

I am wondering if this is enough to constitute "extreme hardship" by the NRMP's standards.
In a word, "no."

Should I contact my new PD about the situation? Any insight at all? I am fully willing to change specialties if it means we can move back to our home city for my husband's career.

It probably wouldn't hurt to contact your new PD but it's also unlikely to make a difference. Also, you tried to match in your home city and didn't. What are the chances you'll be able to do so a 2nd time?

The separation thing is tough (even tougher with a kid), and is a question only you and your husband can answer. It's also possible that the separation would be temporary while one or the other of you works to find a job where the other person lives.

Perhaps you can try to swap the location or swap the specialty "Resident Swap" is full with swap adds. In any case let your PD know early