NROTC question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

browneyes124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi so long story short... My school is awful. A month ago when I checked my financial aid status the money I was suppose to receive covered all my college cost. Great right ? Ok fast forward to a few weeks. I went back on to check on some of the requirments( you have to turn in verification forms at my school for financial aid) that use to have checks had X's :smack: so apparently it had exceeded the deadline so im not getting as much as I thought at all.. Money is really tight right now because my family just bought a new business but the contractor basically ripped my dad off for 40k.
So my question is if I do NROTC or join the Navy and do reserves can I still go to medical school? My goal was going to be go to USUHS ( hopefully) after college and If that didn't work take HPSP. The branch I want to be in is Navy so can I still do that if I do reserves or NROTC? I'm leaning more toward reserves cause I had a friend that joined his 2nd year in college I think and he was suppose to go in in 4 years but they gave him some more time cause he was attending law school.
That's another question.. Since I haven't finished college yet, it I do reserves will I go to boot camp and be enlisted?
Any tips would be great. Just really confused right now and In a bad situation. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just really confused right now and In a bad situation.

That really sucks and I would be careful about joining the military while confused and in a bad situation. If possible, slow down and think things through. Your message seems panicky.

So my question is if I do NROTC or join the Navy and do reserves can I still go to medical school?

Yes, there are people that have gone that route and entered medical school or USUHS.

That's another question.. Since I haven't finished college yet, it I do reserves will I go to boot camp and be enlisted?

No, you will not be an enlisted and make sure in your current state you do not run to the nearest recruiter station and sign something. If you join with the NROTC your militarization as an officer will occur while you are still in college.

That really sucks and I would be careful about joining the military while confused and in a bad situation. If possible, slow down and think things through. Your message seems panicky.

Yes, there are people that have gone that route and entered medical school or USUHS.

No, you will not be an enlisted and make sure in your current state you do not run to the nearest recruiter station and sign something. If you join with the NROTC your militarization as an officer will occur while you are still in college.
Thanks for giving a reasonable answer. Ya I am a little panicky and nervous because it really caught me off guard.. Like the financial aid office didn't even call and say anything and I know that's not their job to babysit you but it's frustration cause it's like 75% there fault :eyebrow:.
I was talking to someone earlier and they were saying that reserves might be better because if I did NROTC than even if I did get accepted into med school that they almost certainly wouldn't let me go and Id be a line officer. ( idk if it's true or where he got his info)
If I did decide to join while undergrad ( I'll think about it a little more) and still wanted to go to med school after, do you think reserves or NROTC would be the best option?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you should do NROTC for a couple of reasons. First, you'd probably be joining as a non-scholarship student so you wouldn't get any money from the Navy for two years (and you'd only get the stipend if you continue on for the last two years). Second, very few people go to med school straight from NROTC since the program exists to produce line officers. So if you joined you'd probably have to do 4 years before you could go to med school. I don't know enough about the reserves to tell you what's good or bad about that option.

I don't think you should do NROTC for a couple of reasons. First, you'd probably be joining as a non-scholarship student so you wouldn't get any money from the Navy for two years (and you'd only get the stipend if you continue on for the last two years). Second, very few people go to med school straight from NROTC since the program exists to produce line officers. So if you joined you'd probably have to do 4 years before you could go to med school. I don't know enough about the reserves to tell you what's good or bad about that option.
Ya someone I was talking to said the same thing..