NSU acceptance class of 2011!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scubes42

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where are my fellow sharks?

Anyone else from the 9/11 interview?

Members don't see this ad.

my name is steve i was the second tallest one there, are you the guy from bradenton?

Members don't see this ad :)
my name is steve i was the second tallest one there, are you the guy from bradenton?

9/11 here and accepted on 9/22..my name is jennifer i was the one from university of miami

I interviewed on 9/11, too. Are you from Michigan? I was the tallest - from North Carolina.

Yes, I was the nurse from Bradenton. I enjoyed meeting all of you.

I interviewed 9-11 and will definately be attending next year. Are you guys all going there for sure or are you waiting to hear from other places?

Umm . . . I guess I was the 3rd tallest?? Actually I think we were just a random group of abnormally tall guys.

I interviewed 9-11 and will definately be attending next year. Are you guys all going there for sure or are you waiting to hear from other places?

Umm . . . I guess I was the 3rd tallest?? Actually I think we were just a random group of abnormally tall guys.

NOVA is a great school, but I'm definitely going to see how it works out at a few other schools. I think I would be very happy at this school, however.

YES!

...I love tall guys--keep sending them here!

Have you guys received your acceptance packets in the mail yet?

Have you guys received your acceptance packets in the mail yet?

no not yet. I'm paranoid that Delia's call was just a mistake and i really wasnt accepted lol. I need the acceptance packet, I need assurance.

Two years ago it took me about 6 weeks to get my acceptance package in the mail (and that was back when they wouldn't "officially" tell you that you got admitted over the phone).

It takes awhile, but take a deep breath--you are in.

no not yet. I'm paranoid that Delia's call was just a mistake and i really wasnt accepted lol. I need the acceptance packet, I need assurance.

HAHAHA, SAME HERE, it's almost too good to be true. And i've already told everyone I'm already in. I would love to see it on paper as well! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard they will be sending out the packages sometime next week.

Does anyone know about your obligations once you are accepted. Like I am taking 15 credits at the moment (Orgo II, Genetics, Biophysics and Public Health) and next semester I was planning on takng Biophysics II, Cell Bio and Biochem. I was only going to do this to strengthen my application, but now that I am accepted I really don't care. I'd rather work and lower my debt. I have put down on AACOMAS that I will be taking these classes. What does NOVA require you to take once you are accepted ?

onmywayRN - ask Nova, they cant take your acceptance back because of you asking:D

Yes, I know but it's been hard to get ahold of them. They must be busy with interviews.

Yes, I know but it's been hard to get ahold of them. They must be busy with interviews.
From the website:

Admission Requirements
Applicants for admission to the first-year class must meet the following requirements prior to matriculation:

A bachelor's degree is preferred and must be from a regionally accredited college or university. A minimum of 90 semester hours of accepted work from a regionally accredited college or university may be considered for admission.

Have successfully completed:

Eight semester hours of each of the following courses:

General biology (including laboratory)
General chemistry (including laboratory)
Organic chemistry (including laboratory)
Physics (including laboratory)

Three semester hours of each of the following courses:

English literature
English composition

These are minimum academic requirements for admission. Students are encouraged to take additional courses such as embryology, genetics, behavioral sciences, and the humanities.

Preference will be given to students with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. However, the Dean is empowered to evaluate the total qualifications of every student and to modify requirements in unusual circumstances.

So, I believe you will be all set after you take Orgo II. Biochem, Genetics, etc...will just help you get an overview before the actual medical school curriculum. Don't let your GPA suffer because of all these science courses. You will have to send NOVA an updated transcript of all the courses you have taken prior to matriculation. So, you do not want them to see a decline in your GPA. Congrats on getting accepted! :)

Hi. Interviewed on the 18th and was accepted. I will probably choose NOVA inthe end, but am continuing with the other interviews I already had scheduled. Any of you guys received your acceptance packet yet? I was hoping it would be back by the time I came home from AZCOM yesterday.

Hi. Interviewed on the 18th and was accepted. I will probably choose NOVA inthe end, but am continuing with the other interviews I already had scheduled. Any of you guys received your acceptance packet yet? I was hoping it would be back by the time I came home from AZCOM yesterday.

Let me ask you a question about AZCOM. I was supposed to interview there on the 29th. I thought I had sent them an email to tell them that I was withdrawing, but sent two emails to TUCOM instead. As a result I got a message from a lady there saying that they were expecting me there. Did you have to wait for me or did they get started right away. I would feel awful if I delayed your day in any way.

yeah my name is steve, i am from michigan

it is funny you all said you were waiting for the written confirmation because i was doing the same thing, must be cuz we are all "obsessive, compulsive, and intelligent" ha ha

Heard from Delia this morning. Highly considering NSU.

I just heard from Delia. I'm in!!!!!

keep in mind that the matchlist for NSU is very misleading...because FL is one of the 5 notorious sites that require an extra year... thats why there are a lot of ppl doing TRI (traditional rotating internship) or transitional year.. This hides the fact that some of these ppl have already matched into a competitive program but have to fulfill this requirement..

Thanks for pointing that out. Could you further explain it? Thanks.

keep in mind that the matchlist for NSU is very misleading...because FL is one of the 5 notorious sites that require an extra year... thats why there are a lot of ppl doing TRI (traditional rotating internship) or transitional year.. This hides the fact that some of these ppl have already matched into a competitive program but have to fulfill this requirement..

About the TRI.... I hear that if you just submit a request that you cant do the TRI bec of hardship, then most likely your request will be approved... dont know the stats.. but i've been talking to some NSU alumni...including my brother.. n that's the general opinion that i'm getting...

About the TRI.... I hear that if you just submit a request that you cant do the TRI bec of hardship, then most likely your request will be approved... dont know the stats.. but i've been talking to some NSU alumni...including my brother.. n that's the general opinion that i'm getting...
Does this mean that you have to stay in Florida a year doing a rotation before starting at another competitive program. Does this have to do with going to an approved residency program or you won't be able to practice in those five states.

Does this mean that you have to stay in Florida a year doing a rotation before starting at another competitive program. Does this have to do with going to an approved residency program or you won't be able to practice in those five states.

Honestly.. i'm not too sure of the logistics of exactly how it all works.. all i know is that if you are in DO school in florida... u are required to do a one year internship in the state of florida (before you start your residency) if you want to practice medicine in florida in the future.... but like i said... there are ways around it...

What i do know..is that if you want to practice out of state. you do NOT have to do the extra TRI year..assuming its not 1 of the 5 states..and even if u do want to settle down in the 5 states..there are fast track programs that pretty much cancel out the extra year..I plan on going back to TX so i dont have to worry about any of that

What i do know..is that if you want to practice out of state. you do NOT have to do the extra TRI year..assuming its not 1 of the 5 states..and even if u do want to settle down in the 5 states..there are fast track programs that pretty much cancel out the extra year..I plan on going back to TX so i dont have to worry about any of that
Okay, it is what I thought. Thanks! :)

Nova was great!:thumbup: The absolute only turnoffs are high living cost and only 2(soon 4) research fellowship spots. Everything else was incredible. I hope to join use acceptencees in 2 weeks:)

Good Luck DrKUBA!! I have a feeling that you'll def. get accepted!

which 5 states are those?? (i only know about florida..)

which 5 states are those?? (i only know about florida..)

I may be completely delusional, but I swear I heard somewhere that Florida may be dropping off this list soon. If that is true, I sure hope it gets finalized before our 4 years are up.

Has anyone received the packet yet??

You really need to search for AOA Board Resolution 19. This resolution essentially is eliminating the transitional year and it will be going into effect as early as 2008.

This is from an email I received from administration.
" The changes do remove the requirement of a FREE
STANDING/Unattached traditional rotating internship year. However, in
practice since 1989 reforms, more internships have been linked to a
residency, and counted towards residency training. Because of this,
Osteopathic training time for the vast majority of residencies has
been identical to Allopathic for years. "

A lot of it is a change in the wording, but essentially what this is going to do is to eliminated the need to do that Traditional Rotating Internship year. The first year of residency will automatically count (and there are requirements of the breakdown of that year) and therefore in those magic 5 states you don't have to do the rotating internship year anymore.

Much love from the class of 2009.

Wazaaaaaaaa all you incoming M1's!!!

As a 4th year at NSU here, I'd like to say congrats! It's been a wonderful ride here at Nova and I would love to let you know that if you have any questions about getting down at Nova, whether it be hot beaches(although being of the brown persuasion..I can not offer advice on which SPF to use for sun tan lotion...sorry :cool: ) or hot tips in biochemistry....whatever your trouble may be...I am here to answer!

Shot out to all those from the midwest...especially the windy-city(my hometown - Chicago)...and shot out to fellow "brownies"(aka indians)...but much love to all the great races that make the classes here so exotic and diverse!! ...Hek, people have thought I am from trinidad, jamaica, cuba, brazil, columbia, venezuela here...and I love it!!

Again, PM or post if you have any questions about anything Nova
:)

da brown from chi-town,

$ :p

I just wanted to let you guys know that i just received an email regarding the 5 state internship stuff..and where everything CURRENTLY stands (things can still change by the time you guys apply for residency):

Since the resolution that passed in July at the House of Delegates in Chicago, there have been several modifications to this resolution.

With the help of Dr. DeGaetano, this is how it currently stands:

There are 3 main subtitles to the internship year:

Rotating internship: This is the traditional internship that is not tracked with any specialty. This choice will continue to exist as always
Internship that is tracked with multiple disciplines:

Just to name a few…….

IM
General Surgery
Pediatrics
Family Practice
Internal medicine

Students track into one of these 5 disciplines will be tracked into their specialty and it will count as their internship year.

Unique specialties – here is where the problems occur. Specialties such as radiology, anesthesiology, ortho etc. all require a first year of training prior to starting the PGY2 year in these disciplines.

The problem is:

There are few osteopathic programs in these specialties that have linked internships incorporated with them. All of these programs must now provide a first year experience along with the remainder of the residency. Will these programs be able to develop their own first year experiences or identify partner programs that have a first year available to affiliate with?

Regardless of all of the above…FL, PA, WV, MI, and OK will all still require that osteopathic physicians meet the requirement of having completed an approved AOA internship to earn a license in these states.

SO in summary: if u do any of the 5 programs, IM, FP, Gen surg, peds (i think maybe EM due to typo in above email since IM is listed twice) there will be NO extra year.. i hope this clears up any confusion

I just wanted to let you guys know that i just received an email regarding the 5 state internship stuff..and where everything CURRENTLY stands (things can still change by the time you guys apply for residency):

Since the resolution that passed in July at the House of Delegates in Chicago, there have been several modifications to this resolution.

With the help of Dr. DeGaetano, this is how it currently stands:

There are 3 main subtitles to the internship year:

Rotating internship: This is the traditional internship that is not tracked with any specialty. This choice will continue to exist as always
Internship that is tracked with multiple disciplines:

Just to name a few…….

IM
General Surgery
Pediatrics
Family Practice
Internal medicine

Students track into one of these 5 disciplines will be tracked into their specialty and it will count as their internship year.

Unique specialties – here is where the problems occur. Specialties such as radiology, anesthesiology, ortho etc. all require a first year of training prior to starting the PGY2 year in these disciplines.

The problem is:

There are few osteopathic programs in these specialties that have linked internships incorporated with them. All of these programs must now provide a first year experience along with the remainder of the residency. Will these programs be able to develop their own first year experiences or identify partner programs that have a first year available to affiliate with?

Regardless of all of the above…FL, PA, WV, MI, and OK will all still require that osteopathic physicians meet the requirement of having completed an approved AOA internship to earn a license in these states.

SO in summary: if u do any of the 5 programs, IM, FP, Gen surg, peds (i think maybe EM due to typo in above email since IM is listed twice) there will be NO extra year.. i hope this clears up any confusion
Thanks, I have not gotten an update since September.

Thanks Mickey for the detailed email!! I really hope they do away with the TRI by the time my class graduates in 2011!

BTW, random question... does anyone know the dates yet for when classes are starting next yr??? and what's with the whole week or orientation thing i was hearing at my interview?? something about week of welcome.... M2's and M1's interacting etc etc...? i heard this the c/o 2010 were the first ones to go thru this...

I am a prospective student amd heard there was a dress code at the school. Does anybody have any information on that?

For us: the orientation was really more like 3.5 days....really boring stuff..1 day is for cpr/first aid..so its really only 2.5 days of randomness...We are the first class to utilize academical societies which divides the class into 10 groups..and each society has M2,M3 and an advisor to help transition first years to med school...For me, the academical societies werent that helpful i wouldve gotten along fine without it..

As for the dress code: business cas...or scrubs...or in 50% of my class scrub pants + tshirt...closed toe shoes for anatomy lab...any other time u can wear sandals or anything..but it does get really cold in the lecture room..

For us: the orientation was really more like 3.5 days....really boring stuff..1 day is for cpr/first aid..so its really only 2.5 days of randomness...We are the first class to utilize academical societies which divides the class into 10 groups..and each society has M2,M3 and an advisor to help transition first years to med school...For me, the academical societies werent that helpful i wouldve gotten along fine without it..

As for the dress code: business cas...or scrubs...or in 50% of my class scrub pants + tshirt...closed toe shoes for anatomy lab...any other time u can wear sandals or anything..but it does get really cold in the lecture room..
What percentage of students do you think find the academical societies helpful? I suppose it helps with cohesiveness and cooperation if you know a smaller group of students.

academical societies are great if you need someone to talk to..or if you need advice on classes..But ive got a great group of friends and everyone in my class loves to help each other..Even the M2s give us helpful websites for current classes..AND future classes..all in all its a good idea and nice to have..but its not a necessity to survive