NSU Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TSisk23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear NSU has like 12 people per cadaver. Just curious if this is true and if it makes learning more difficult. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

TSisk23 said:
I hear NSU has like 12 people per cadaver. Just curious if this is true and if it makes learning more difficult. Thanks a lot.

I just interviewed there and they said 5 per group. However, there are two groups per cadaver. One group does their thing, then brings in the other group and tells them what they did, and visa versa. I think that's how it works. Can anyone verify this?

Gross anatomy lab is overrated.

Members don't see this ad :)
TSisk23 said:
absolutely not true. Granted I never payed attention in lab, never dissected, and never cared to go half the time............and i did well in anatomy so the learning part is up to you.

Yeah, there are 10 people/cadaver. Divided into 2 groups. One group dissects one day, and the other dissects the other and then we share with eachother at the end of each lab. I currently work with 4 other people in my cadaver.
And it is true...I find it that most of the time is purely just picking fat, so I roam around the lab, and find an older cadaver that has already been dissected...

Anatomy lab is kind of overrated...yeah, it's kind of fun...but I just use my atlas and go look at the stuff a few times before the practical ;)

Karina

I can second that. I as well as Karina prefer to wander around more than I like to actually do the dissecting. That leaves 3 ppl on our cadaver on a normal day (most groups end up similar to this).

I actually look forward to the day that I don't have to disect. It is nice that I only have to smell terrible and rush home to shower one day a week (expect for the week before the practical when I just sleep in the lab) :-D

Anatomy disection is sort of like the Palmaris Longus Muscle--some of us may not have it and we wouldn't even know it is missing.

Yeah we share a cadaver with the other group. I like most students starting out wanted to do all the disection, and I still enjoy the anatomy lab. However it is nice to share the work, you really don't learn that much from picking fat from the bottom of a foot. I don't even go to the lab to hear about the disection of the other group. I go that night and figure out what was done during the day. It is really nice to be able to go in and everything is already done, then all you have to do is figure out the structures. No problem at all. :thumbup:

All I can say about the Anatomy dept. Is they are the bomb. Dr. Marriassy stayed late on Thur with some of us to help us study. There is not one that will not stay and answer any of your questions. Dr. Conover our director of anatomy is one of the best lectures I have ever had. ;)

There are many times where I'd like to return to the lab and look at that anatomy in 3D.

As above at AZCOM we rotated in two teams of four. Sounds like a common theme.

Doc 2b said:
All I can say about the Anatomy dept. Is they are the bomb. Dr. Marriassy stayed late on Thur with some of us to help us study. There is not one that will not stay and answer any of your questions. Dr. Conover our director of anatomy is one of the best lectures I have ever had. ;)
The entire anatomy department is very good.

... don't forget Dr. Tu. He really does go out of his way to try to help the students as much as he can and is very dedicated to his work. He is coming in on a Sunday morning tomorrow to give us a review before our exam on Monday (and he was here today too). It seems like the entire department works very hard to not only teach us anatomy but to make sure we understand it well enough to do well on boards.

Karina said:
Yeah, there are 10 people/cadaver. Divided into 2 groups. One group dissects one day, and the other dissects the other and then we share with eachother at the end of each lab. I currently work with 4 other people in my cadaver.
And it is true...I find it that most of the time is purely just picking fat, so I roam around the lab, and find an older cadaver that has already been dissected...

Anatomy lab is kind of overrated...yeah, it's kind of fun...but I just use my atlas and go look at the stuff a few times before the practical ;)

Karina

Karina! You don't have time to post here, you should be studying Anatomy! Can you figure out who I am? :D

Eclipse420 said:
Karina! You don't have time to post here, you should be studying Anatomy! Can you figure out who I am? :D

Can I have a little hint? Pretty please!
And I am sooooo sick and tired of studying already, I just wanna take that stupid test already and go to the Blue Martini...regardless of the outcome! :p

TSisk23 said:

Actually, this is a benefit. As others have said, gross anatomy lab is a complete waste of time. It would be of significant benefit to both the schools and students if all schools went to prosected cadavers - or made dissection an elective. So the more people per cadaver, the less you actually have to do, and the more time you'll have to actually learn it.

I (and others have echoed this) learn very little during the dissection. The only real way to get through anatomy is to sit down with an Atlas and textbook outside of lab and class and hope you learn the material well enough that despite the variability in cadavers you can successfully identify 70% or more of the structures.

Old_Mil said:
Actually, this is a benefit. As others have said, gross anatomy lab is a complete waste of time. It would be of significant benefit to both the schools and students if all schools went to prosected cadavers - or made dissection an elective. So the more people per cadaver, the less you actually have to do, and the more time you'll have to actually learn it.

I (and others have echoed this) learn very little during the dissection. The only real way to get through anatomy is to sit down with an Atlas and textbook outside of lab and class and hope you learn the material well enough that despite the variability in cadavers you can successfully identify 70% or more of the structures.

Even though I don't think it is a henderance to have so many people at a body, I do think it is an IMPORTANT part of learning the anatomy. You have to be able to disect, for one it helps you learn how to use your hands which is important for your surgery rotation (I'll get blasted for this but I think it's important). The other thing is it teaches you the texture of tissues, something you can't appreciate in a book or a prosected body. So while many say, as you have Old Mil, that it is a waste of time, it makes you a better doctor. Just my .02

Yup, I think it is very important to be able to dissect a body. It is not true that you don't learn anything from dissecting. We've learned a lot from cutting open skin, fascia and other structures since we have been able to find the structures on our own. It makes a difference when you dig out the thoracic duct on your own or with your lab group vs. having it all laid out for you on plastinated specimens. Although we do have groups of 5-6 students per cadaver here at GA-PCOM, we also have plastinated specimens as studying aids - which helps when most of an artery is ripped out by an overzealous classmate.

Also, when dissecting, being able to feel the textures of various structures helps you in being able to identify things such as veins vs arteries vs nerves; muscle vs fascia vs fat and so on. It improves learning when you can SEE and FEEL the structure you're trying to identify, and it helps even more when you've put some effort into finding it.

Even though NSU may have more people per cadaver (about 12), it is way better then just using plastinated or pro-sected bodies.

Further, with having multiple bodies being dissected, students can walk around and see how structures vary from body to body. I don't know if this would be possible with plastinated specimens, unless the school has several specimens i.e more than 15 specimens.

I think I am amazed that people are still in total groups..last year people started skipping midyear. I had the best anatomy group so we all just chilled and did our work. It was easier in my opinion to do the fat and junk with more people. Later in the semester some skipped or showed up later. If I missed a lab I went back later that night or weekend and made sure I knew what I missed. The lab is open late and is there for your work as well.

Robz said:
I think I am amazed that people are still in total groups..last year people started skipping midyear. I had the best anatomy group so we all just chilled and did our work. It was easier in my opinion to do the fat and junk with more people. Later in the semester some skipped or showed up later. If I missed a lab I went back later that night or weekend and made sure I knew what I missed. The lab is open late and is there for your work as well.

Don't be to amazed, it is happening. To those with questions, here is the skinny. You'll find that in a group of 5 people about 2-3 want to cut, so some will either not show up, or just read during the disection. In the group opposite you things are the same, usually about 2-3. So for example today, I showed up during the hour where the other group was supposed to share what they did today. The 2 people that were dissecting hadn't finished so I continued the disection and finished it. I know that as a Pre Med you think you want to do all the disecting, I know I did, I infact almost chose another school because of it. But once you get here you'll find that you get to cut as much as you want.