SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

NSU-COM Medical Insurance for Students

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by CVPA, Dec 19, 2001.

1. CVPA

CVPA Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Florida
    Does anyone have any information about medical insurance for NSU-COM students?

I understand that it is available for students. What if you have a family? How good is the insurance and how much does it cost/month??

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Stickboy

Stickboy EM Resident 7+ Year Member

May 8, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    CVPA-

Hi-

The Nova insurance is underwritten by Chickering. It's apparently a pretty good deal. (I've been in the military for 10 years, so I've never had to pay for health care, I've been told that the Nova plan is a good price)

In a nutshell, last years' premiums were $950 for you, $2301 for your spouse and $1534 per child. All copayments are waived if you go to the school clinic (which I've heard gets mixed reviews). Same for the pharmacy...no copay if you use the school's pharmacy.

I had to visit the clinic once, got taken care of, and had no problems.

There are a lot of rules, etc, (true of many plans, apparently) so for example, a buddy of mine's wife got in a car accident, and Chickering only paid $1000 worth of an MRI.

In my opinion, the bottom line is that if given a choice between independent health insurance and Nova's plan, go with Nova's plan, but a group plan from an employer would be a better option.

The policy number for Chickering's deal is 724533, you may be able to look them up and get more info.

Hope this helps,
    -Fred

4. CVPA

CVPA Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Florida
    Wow, great information, Stickboy! Thanks a lot!