NSU Fin Aid Confusion.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babloo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am accepted at NOVA but I have not decided if I want to go there over WVSOM. There is no help fronm NOVA admissions or fin. aid to answer my question. On the web NSU has posted that "the cost of attendance minus estimated family contribution is the financil need" considered by NSU. Does this mean that NSU expects me or my family to drop some $$ into the financial aid "bucket"? Does NSU restrict how much $$ in the form of "alternative/private loans" I can get? Does NSU have institutional loans? I thought at graduate level I could apply for loan to support my education, living etc without the involvement of my parents. Please help!!! I am a Florida resident.

Members don't see this ad.

You can borrow all the unsubsidized staffords and private/alt loans up to the cost of attendance set up NSU. The only loans your EFC will affect are subsudizied staffords and possibly Perkins. I don't know if NSU has institutional loans or not, but there are tons of good private lenders out there. Do a search and check your credit asap.

The standard student budget for Florida Resident at NSU for 2005/2006 was $49921 for first year. Room and board was $10431 and miscellaneous was $1800. My parent's lived in Ft Lauderdale untill last March. We have checked the cost of apartments. The amount in the budget is not enough to cover rent, insurance, utilities and food. So, if I plan on getting more loan will NSU not certify (block) the loan? There is no institutional loan. Need help guys and gals, so that I can decide if I should go there! Please, some one help. As I mentioned before having sent several emails to various financial aid people at NSU, I have yet to get a response.

Members don't see this ad :)
babloo said:
The standard student budget for Florida Resident at NSU for 2005/2006 was $49921 for first year. Room and board was $10431 and miscellaneous was $1800. My parent's lived in Ft Lauderdale untill last March. We have checked the cost of apartments. The amount in the budget is not enough to cover rent, insurance, utilities and food. So, if I plan on getting more loan will NSU not certify (block) the loan? There is no institutional loan. Need help guys and gals, so that I can decide if I should go there! Please, some one help. As I mentioned before having sent several emails to various financial aid people at NSU, I have yet to get a response.

You did realize that the cost of attendance for an out-of-state first-year at WVSOM for 2005-2006 was nearly $72,000.00? If you add up the costs for each year it is $278,000.00. It will probably cost well over $300,000.00 for an out-of-state education by the time you are finished. That means you would need more than $100,000.00 in private loans once you max out the Stafford...and you are complaining about Nova?

Yeah, seriously, WVSOM is so not worth it. I love the mountains as much as the next guy, but you have $37k versus $25-26 - sticks vs. civilization. No comparison. Then there is always Bradenton too :D .

scpod said:
You did realize that the cost of attendance for an out-of-state first-year at WVSOM for 2005-2006 was nearly $72,000.00? If you add up the costs for each year it is $278,000.00. It will probably cost well over $300,000.00 for an out-of-state education by the time you are finished. That means you would need more than $100,000.00 in private loans once you max out the Stafford...and you are complaining about Nova?

You misunderstood the question. Read above what exlawgrrl says. I am not complaining of the total cost at NSU. Nor am I complaining about getting private loans. This is what I understand by what exlawgrrl said: NSU has a set budget for each year and any loans beyond the set budget including private loans are not certified by the school, therefore you cannot get the loan. My question was as to how to get the extra money? The total cost is not the problem be it at NSU or WVSOM. At WVSOM the budget is realistic for living expenses. As a student there you can have enough loan to live and eat well. At NSU the budget set to get any form of loan (Stafford + private) I feel is low for living expense.

babloo said:
You misunderstood the question. Read above what exlawgrrl says. I am not complaining of the total cost at NSU. Nor am I complaining about getting private loans. This is what I understand by what exlawgrrl said: NSU has a set budget for each year and any loans beyond the set budget including private loans are not certified by the school, therefore you cannot get the loan. My question was as to how to get the extra money? The total cost is not the problem be it at NSU or WVSOM. At WVSOM the budget is realistic for living expenses. As a student there you can have enough loan to live and eat well. At NSU the budget set to get any form of loan (Stafford + private) I feel is low for living expense.

There are private lenders that will lend you money w/o school certification. They try to advertise these as loans for "emergencies" aka things that came up that were not included in your budget. The check is sent to you, it does not go through school any time...that is another option. I am a Florida Resident, and I attend NSU COM. I have a one-bedroom apt and that is an option I am looking into for next year, so I can continue to live alone and not have to move or get a roommate. I borrowed the full amount in Stafford Loans and in Private Loans...so if I were to go through a lender that went through NSU in order to disburse my funds...that amount would be deducted from whatever I already got...

Karina

PS. I know Bank of America has loans like this, and I have referred some of my friends to them. They have gotten the money, w/o any problems from the school.

Karina said:
There are private lenders that will lend you money w/o school certification. They try to advertise these as loans for "emergencies" aka things that came up that were not included in your budget. The check is sent to you, it does not go through school any time...that is another option. I am a Florida Resident, and I attend NSU COM. I have a one-bedroom apt and that is an option I am looking into for next year, so I can continue to live alone and not have to move or get a roommate. I borrowed the full amount in Stafford Loans and in Private Loans...so if I were to go through a lender that went through NSU in order to disburse my funds...that amount would be deducted from whatever I already got...

Karina

PS. I know Bank of America has loans like this, and I have referred some of my friends to them. They have gotten the money, w/o any problems from the school.

Thank you Karina. My parents and I use Bank of america. I will call them because I want to get a one bedroom apt because I do not know any one going there to share. I know it is a hassel to share if you really do not know your room mate. Please can you email me where I should call at the bank? I would appreciate very much. Thanks again.
[email protected]