NSU first year student books/material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UFpharmDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting NSU COM this August and have heard many different opinions on what to buy for books and materials (stethoscope, study material), I was wandering if someone could give me an idea of what is a must for first year students. Also I currently use an IBM x series thinkpad I am sick about the idea of having to use a dell, any ideas on whether or not I will have to use their laptop.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a letter saying I was an alternate for the class of 2011. Does anyone know how many students are placed on that list, and the chance of getting in. Out of 30 schools I applied to(M.D. and D.O.) Nova was the only interview I had and the only school that put me on the waiting list. :confused:

I will be starting NSU COM this August and have heard many different opinions on what to buy for books and materials (stethoscope, study material), I was wandering if someone could give me an idea of what is a must for first year students. Also I currently use an IBM x series thinkpad I am sick about the idea of having to use a dell, any ideas on whether or not I will have to use their laptop.
Do not buy books yet. You will get a survival guide that will tell you the most common used books during first year. I would wait to get your medical equipment in a packaged deal. Computers are not a certainty yet, but the minimum requirements are pretty standard. You will not have to use their laptop.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you very much that information was very informative. One last question, when did you find out when your first day of orientation was, I haven't heard yet and am trying to plan my summer, any ideas when the orientation usually is?

thank you very much that information was very informative. One last question, when did you find out when your first day of orientation was, I haven't heard yet and am trying to plan my summer, any ideas when the orientation usually is?
It's on the NSU Facebook group. Plus, the academic calendar is available for the 08-09 year (not the course calendar). http://medicine.nova.edu

8/3 - 8/10 with 8/10 being the White Coat Ceremony. The Peer Mentors will be letting you know more information as orientation approaches.

I would honestly tell you not to buy any book while in med school at Nova. Just go to the library. There are so many of the books, you do not need the latest and greatest edition. Plus, they do not charge late fees. They also have a huge range of USMLE books also. You should get a good Littman stethoscope, don't buy a cheapo one. As for the other stuff, you can probably try to share with your fellow med students btwn classes to save money. Many of the clubs offer books for joining. Just remember, anatomy does not change. You can check out an old book from the library. Netter died in the 1990's, his pictures have not changed. I would spend you money on the test packet. SOMA does not make much of a profit off the test packet, believe it or not. Go to the OMM reviews and SOSA anatomy reviews, that is where you should spend your money.
Go to amazon.com and buy a used edition to save money if you feel you have to buy a book. Most of the notes are provided in packets for you during your first year. You get spoiled your first year, until the second year where you are printing up your own notes and trying to keep up some poor instructors without any notes provided. Take advantage of that time while you still can.