NSU-KPCOM (Clearwater) and UNE-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NY-premed

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to receive two acceptances so far in the cycle, but with the deposit deadline for UNE approaching, I need to make a decision. Im still in undergrad so I'm trying to juggle my classes with making a huge life decision so any input from fellow pre-meds will be super helpful (I'm the only pre-med in my school who's been accepted so far so I have no one in the same boat as me to ask for advice). I am going to meet with my advisors as well, but here is what i got so far:

*Background: I am a 21 year old from NY who intends to do residency/practice in the NY area someday.

NSU Pros:
- great location (close family members live 45 mins away), this means having a piece of home with me in med school --> better mental health?
- great weather (again better mental health)?
- Clearwater's campus is brand new and has a lot of state of the art technology
- Previous student from my undergrad is there now and loves the new curriculum
- new curriculum seems to bode well with boards as their pass rates are increasing
- lots of research opportunities
- "fine local reputation" per my advisor who lived in FL *perhaps current residents can comment on this?
- clinical rotation sites in NY and residency placements in NY

NSU Cons:
- pass rates: it seems like their boards rate is improving however its just not as high as UNE. Theres not enough years with pass rates in the 90's to make me feel comfortable plus they don't have 100% match into a residency program.
- still working out changes in curriculum - this could translate to my class being guinea pigs for new curricula -->possible negative outcome on test performance
- SDN has reported limited/no board prep in the curriculum?
- more expensive then UNE for both tuition and living expenses
- rural rotation has been noted as a distraction for those prepping for residency interviews

UNE Pros:
- higher boards pass rates than NSU
- located in New England --> possibly means a better reputation for New England/ NY based residency programs I'd be interested in in the future?
- Another previous student from my undergrad is there now and loves the curriculum and feels prepared for boards
- board prep in cirriculum
- lots of research opportunities
- family member graduated from here many years ago and is a renewed practicing physician with great experiences/prep from UNE
- smaller rotations/private clinics meaning more exposure/practice for residency

UNE Cons:
- Living in a metropolitan area of NY makes me think Biddeford, ME is VERY rural (and freezing) which concerns me. I know med school will take up most (if not all) my time but I have heard location/weather play a big role in mental health/overall happiness.
- 4.5-5 hours from my house and family in NY - again I know I won't be able to visit home wherever I go but I feel that this compounded with the rural and cold environment will make the adjustment to med school even more difficult.
- didn't have many rotation sites in NY --> hard to get my foot in the door for residency?
- Didn't have many placements in NY area, most were northern new england where i do not see myself living past medical school.

Overall from what I've gathered UNE is better academically but a worse location for me personally. I would appreciate if anyone can confirm this/offer insight as to what's ultimately more important for med school success: curriculum/reputation or location/personal happiness?

Thank you all for your help!

Members don't see this ad.