NSU MD (Full Tuition) vs. MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fold&Dry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am posting from my friend's account just to stay anonymous here on SDN.

Charter class at NSU MD with Full Tuition Award OR 50% off tuition award, OR attend MCW (more established program), what would you do? and WHY?

Does attending a new school put me at a disadvantage when it comes to residency?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Whats the diff in total cost? Yes, new schools tend to put you at a disadvantage during the match. However, total tuition free is no joke. You have to ask yourself if its worth it to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Whats the diff in total cost? Yes, new schools tend to put you at a disadvantage during the match. However, total tuition free is no joke. You have to ask yourself if its worth it to you.
MCW COA is 67.4k/ year, almost 270k/ 4 years without interest.

NSU tuition is 54k/ per, I would save 216k for 4 years (full tuition)
I would save 108k for 4 years (50% tuition), again without interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some students received full, some received half, some still haven't received any.
it will be interesting to see how students with significant scholarships to any of the four new schools this cycle will decide vs attending a more established program without a big scholarship.

50% v. Full seems like a huge difference that could sway the decision

What are your pros and cons

If it's 50% tuition, I would definitely go MCW. If it's full tuition, then you should consider some other factors. Where are you from? Where do you want to match? If you'd like to match in FL or around there, then you might still be okay going to NSU.

If it's 50% tuition, I would definitely go MCW. If it's full tuition, then you should consider some other factors. Where are you from? Where do you want to match? If you'd like to match in FL or around there, then you might still be okay going to NSU.
NSU does have name recognition and reputation from having an established DO program, so it might make it not as risky as the three other new programs as far as how residency directors might view it. If I was in the situation, I would choose NSU since it has a name on the East Coast and the financial difference is substantial over MCW. Another point to consider is how is MCW viewed to competitive East Coast residency directors?

I would like to match back into the east coast. I am not sure how much geography influences the match.

NSU does have name recognition and reputation from having an established DO program, so it might make it not as risky as the three other new programs as far as how residency directors might view it. If I was in the situation, I would choose NSU since it has a name on the East Coast and the financial difference is substantial over MCW. Another point to consider is how is MCW viewed to competitive East Coast residency directors?
MCW is viewed to be pretty competitive in the East Coast. It is a very well established program

I would also go full tuition, although I would reach out to others at the school or school admins who might be able to provide more insight here on matching for the first time with a new school. Also, what were the vibes you got from the interview days?