NSU MD vs Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rawgarlicmindset

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
NSU MD
Pros:
- Fort Lauderdale has great weather year round and is close to Miami (I'm all about the beach vibes)
- Close to family (~3 hour drive)
- True P/F pre-clinical
- Current students have told me that they receive great support from admin
- Brand new University Hospital set to be completed by the time I would rotate and will become their main teaching hospital

Cons:
- New school without any match data; inaugural class will not match until 2022
- Class size of 50 is extremely small
- Clinical sites are HCA affiliated. Have not heard wonderful things about this organization

Wayne State
Pros:
- Well established school with strong match
- Strong clinical sites and they really seem to emphasize student involvement during rotations
- Detroit has plenty to do and is on the rise

Cons:
- Detroit weather...
- H/P/F with internal rankings that influence the wording that dean uses in residency LOR
- Seems like there are a bunch of admin issues... "sink or swim" given the large class size of 300
- I have heard that the relationship with Detroit Medical Center (one of the main teaching hospital) is on thin ice

I would be happier staying in Florida and being close to the fam but the newness of the school is one of my biggest concerns. I am likely planning to go a surgical route, and given that step1 is now P/F it sounds like name recognition might carry more weight. At the same time, I don't envision a future for myself in the midwest. Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Members don't see this ad.