PanaRama

Whats up Doc?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
Florida
Status
Does anyone know if NSU has a program where if one begins thier 'postbac' and does well- can petition to become a candidate for the DO program during thier 2nd year. Do they req an applicant to finish the whole program or may they admit you into the Medical School having already taken some of the clinicals during ones first year in post bacc? I heard that something to this effect exsits for the Dental School. ;)

Fin-Nor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2003
South Side
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i believe post bac 80% in all classes can get you into DO prgm as m1 for next year. what ever class you dont want to retake, you can transfer credit, not gpa.

i think this is correct.

Robz

La Vie Boheme
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
Drinking Texas Tea
Status
Resident [Any Field]
PanaRama said:
Does anyone know if NSU has a program where if one begins thier 'postbac' and does well- can petition to become a candidate for the DO program during thier 2nd year. Do they req an applicant to finish the whole program or may they admit you into the Medical School having already taken some of the clinicals during ones first year in post bacc? I heard that something to this effect exsits for the Dental School. ;)
there is something like that for dental but honestly I don't know the whole details. One of our professors was telling me there was that exact program cause all I saw was medical masters students.

Fin Nor is right in that the students have to have above an 80 to get admitted to the next years class. They need a 90 or above to not have to take the same class again the next year as well. You are automatically admited to the program if you get above an 80 in all subjects. Some of our current m1's are only in a handfull of our classes cause they passed last year with 90's.

They have to take OPP, Clinical Practicum, Public Health, Radiology and such like that with us now, as well as any class they didn't get above a 90 in.

NotShorty

~Mr. Bright Side~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
The tip of America's wang
Visit site
Status
If you are admitted to the DO program after your first year as an MBS student, you won't actually get your Master's degree.

Did you know that these students get a T-shirt at graduation that says "I capped-out on my students loans by my 3rd year, and all I got was this DO degree"? (not true. That's on the list of whacky sh1t that would happen if I ran a med school).

My point is that although the MBS program is a viable option and these students are among the best-prepared for the core science classes as a medical student, it is certainly not the only route you can take.

NSU-COM will still be here. One thing I would definitely suggest you consider is the Medical Informatics program. I don't know all the details since this is a brand-new program here, but you could Google "medical informatics" to see what the field is all about.

I'm not sure how much you are "in to" technology, but many experts (and me too :D ) predict that we are on the verge of another tech boom, similar to the dot com boom of the 90's, but much bigger. This would make a MS in med info a very desireable degree.

We do offer the MPH/DO program to our DO students for no additional tuition, and although I think that an MPH is definitely a good degree to have, its value may be diminished if "everybody" gets one.

However, imagine yourself as "PanaRama, DO, MS, MPH" That's a [email protected] bit of alphabet soup to have after your name as a brand-new physician.

NS

OP
P

PanaRama

Whats up Doc?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
Florida
Status
Thanks for everyones responses :D I will definitely check out the MI program- Thanks again :)