NSU (Tampa) vs DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnin221

Reaction score
Hi all. I was recently accepted off the waitlist for DMU after preparing to attend NSU. Pros/Cons:

DMU
Pros:
-Has a better reputation
-Cheaper ($7000 savings each year)
-Close to home (Iowa resident)
-high pass rates

Cons:
-I really don't want to stay in Iowa
-Want to pursue residency/future in the south rather than midwest
-lack of diversity?
-weather
-more difficult to find good apartment close to campus

NSU
Pros:
-Florida - I'm willing to settle down here or in Texas
-new curriculum (could be pro and con) that focuses more on boards
-newer site for school may provide opportunities for leadership, research, and closer connections with faculty?
-feel like I really fit in with the students here
-already found an apartment/roommates
-more opportunities to meet similar people
-possible clinical research opportunities at residency hospitals (I know a few residents in TY-Anesthesia and IM)

Cons:
-most recent pass rates are at 91% (could get better with new curriculum)
-more expensive
-has an iffy reputation on SDN (students have told me it's getting better)
-far from home

I'm not sure what specialty I'm looking into, but interested in primary care, EM, and Anesthesia.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

DMU - it's cheaper and has a better reputation. You'll be in a better position to match if you pass your boards and do well and I think DMU will help with that. You can always go elsewhere for residency

Reactions: 1 users
DMU. It's cheaper and while reputation may be better, this isn't the main consideration imo. It's not like you're comparing NSU to an Ivy. But it's cheaper so go with it.

Make sure to do aways MS4 year wherever you want to match.

Reactions: 1 user
You will be successful at either school you choose! I would consider lifestyle as the locations of each school are very different. Where did you feel like was the best fit for you on your interview days? Best of luck in whatever you decide :)

Reactions: 1 user