1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Nsu Vs Pcom

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by jaimin27, Mar 3, 2007.

1. jaimin27

jaimin27 New Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Dear member,
    I am in great confusion right now since i don't know which school to pick? I am a florida resident which make my NSU tution 10k less than PCOM per year. But I hear PCOM is a great school and I know lot of people in Philadelphia(grew up in philly). It would be great if you guys can give me feedback. Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mitawa

mitawa Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Both are great schools. If I were in your shoes I'd go to the one closer to home mainly because I would have 2 pros:#1 I would save money and
    #2 I would be in a great program.

However the choice is yours, where did you feel suited your personality and future goals most?

4. Freshnstylin

Freshnstylin Member
    7+ Year Member

I would say go to NSU. I am at KCUMB now and wished I had applied to NSU. If you are from florida...the cold weather will be a big change! Familiar climate, family and friends nearby will make a difference especially your first two years when you are studying more than anything else. Both are equal and excellent education...so either one will be great for your academic needs.

5. JMAC17

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would go to NSU due to location and the price difference. You really can't go wrong because you are going to get a good education at both schools. I agree with the above posters reasoning. If I were you I would choose NSU.

6. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    NSU will likely be cheaper as far as cost of living as well.

Personally I would chose PCOM, but I am not a fan of Florida. Too many old people :D

NSU is a very good school. Unless you are looking at a future in Philadelphia for residency, then stay down there.

Good luck.

7. DOEYEGUY

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Go where you're going to be happiest, screw the money, you're gonna take out loans anyway. You can always pay back money, you can't pay back 4 years of your life. And as far as education is concerned.... as you'll find in our osteopathic system, most of that is up to you. I was in a similar predicament 6 years ago... I liked both places, but I ended up choosing Nova because I felt better there. Head towards your happiness. It was hard giving up on the cheesesteaks though....

8. jp104

jp104 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You make it up with some excellent cuban sandwiches is So. Fla. :thumbup:

9. MikeyLu2010

MikeyLu2010 UT Longhorns Alumni
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    wow..cuban sandwiches?? i need to try that....but yea..for the most part...food down here blows...im originally from houston so im used to good food...and fat people :p

10. Faraaz23

Faraaz23 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I second on the food sucking down here unless you spend enough money. And when you spend a lot of money, the food is good but service is HORRIBLE.

Anyhow, go with whatever schools feels best in your gut. As is said here all the time, med school is what you make of it and both are good schools. An extra 10k a year is a lot of money, but if you think you'd be happier at one school vs another then its worth it.

Although I must say with as bad as this winter was, I don't think you'll wanna leave Florida....

11. Quakkilla

Quakkilla Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are you kidding me, I am leaving as fast as I can, I am sick of the heat! That said, NO regrets, good education, good weather without the hurricanes. I just need a little variety; bring on the fall, winter, and spring. There are two seasons in SOFLO, hot and hotter than hell.

12. jp104

jp104 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

[​IMG]

Truly a great amongst sandwiches. It's up there with the Reuben and the Philly Cheese Steak and the Hot pastrami on rye. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thin sliced roasted pork,slices of Ham,swiss cheese, thin cut pickles, and mustard on a buttered baguette that is then pressed flat and cooked. YUM!

There was a mini mall down university drive (close to the Broward Mall) with a cuban restaurant that had decent ones. Can't remember the name of the place, but it was in that strip that had a Barnes and Noble in it.

13. barracuda_vd

barracuda_vd New Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    You really have to go to miami for a good cuban sandwich. There are a few hole-in-the-wall places in Ft. Lauderdale if you can find them.

#12 barracuda_vd, Mar 6, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  14. mitawa

mitawa Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I miss Miami Subs!:(

15. kaikai128

kaikai128 Yes SIR. ;-)
    5+ Year Member

I have found some good food...you just have to look really hard for it...and it is really expensive. :( boo.

Regardless, to the OP.

Choose the location/city of the school that you liked the best--the place that you felt the most comfortable in. I honestly think that living somewhere that you hate would be a horrible thing. If you hate cold weather, PCOM may not be for you. Likewise, if you hate hot weater and hate traffic the Miami/FLL area may not be for you.

I didn't read the Original post, but if you have family closer to one location--that should be a very important deciding factor. Many, Many, Many people are miserable during first year because they are homesick.

Regardless of where you go to school, you are going to get out of your education exactly what you put into it, and you are going to become a great doctor if you choose to be.

Good luck with your decision--these are both great schools.