NSUCOM, VCOM, & TUCOM-Las Vegas- any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by equestrian_doc, May 5, 2004.

1. equestrian_doc

equestrian_doc Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was accepted to these schools and am having the toughest time deciding on where to go! If any students at these schools or future students care to comment, that would be a huge help! I enjoyed them all when I visited (except TUCOM, which I haven't gotten to see yet out in Vegas). Please help!

2. HoodyHoo

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    NSUCOM for sure........then again I'm a bit biased. I would possibly stay away from TUCOM Vegas because it is brand spanking new. Between NSU and VCOM, I don't know. I just know that I loved NSUCOM on my visit and I know they have a very strong clinical program. Plus, why wouldn't you want to live in sunny florida?? I am sure VCOM is a great school as well. I would stick with those two, but that's just my opinion.

3. jamaals

jamaals Junior Member

I'd look in the school that has a reputation for getting residencies in what you want to study. If you want ER go for TUCOM. Family practice go for VCOM etc... it may require more research by you but it all depends on what you're looking for. But hey Congrats on getting in :) if you think about it many are wishing they had your dillema
    Later,
    Jamaals

VCOM2008

4. bgworm

bgworm Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    VCOM was pretty cool , but they have yet to have a M3 class or higher to tell you what clinicals and matches are like. They did have a nice building with all new equipment and a very nice anatomy lab. They are affiliated with Virginia Tech, which is nice. I was accepted there as well, but I was apprehensive about the "newness" of the school and the location of the affiliated hospitals (you may have to do quite a bit of driving). I chose to go to NSUCOM because of their facilities, clinical sites, and quality graduates. I did not interview at TUCOM, but they are brand new and no one can tell you what it is like. I guess it depends on how adventurous you are.
    :D

5. DoctorDoogie4

DoctorDoogie4 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I chose NSUCOM in regards to other medical schools, both MD and DO. This school gives you a solid butt kicking the first two years of medical school. Eventually, this butt kicking will turn you into a solid rotating student. I have heard many doctors say that NSUCOM's students are much more prepared than some of the other South Florida medical schools. Yet, I still have my reservations about this school as does anyone with their respective medical school. I advise to go where it's the cheapest and you get the most bang for your buck.