NSUCOM Waitlist Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TPBC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was interviewed recently and later notified I was an "alternate" for the August class. I would appreciate it any current M1s at NSU who were alternates, or anyone else for that matter, could tell me how the process works, when the alternates are selected (if at all), how many applicants are designated as alternates, etc. My letter stated the alternates were not ranked so I'm really curious how the process works. Thanks for your replies.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also a curious alternate on the list for NSU. (sorry this reply isn't productive, but you're not waiting anxiously alone!)

hey guys do not lose hope..I myself was not an alternate buti have a few people in our class that were..NOVA takes a long time with the interviewing and deciding to invite.im not sure how long you are gonna have to wait, i know they interview well into may.They constantly revisit applications and look at everything.I will say that with more people applying every year at least at NOVA it could be harder to move up. BUT alot of people wait on howmany accpetances they get so many will drop out and free up spots...

i hope some of this helps

hang in there

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't an alternate at NSUCOM but I know friends who were alternates at other schools and got in. Their advice is to be persistent. Keep showing the school you are interested. Keep updating your file. If you get a 4.0 , send the transcript ASAP. Shadow some more DOs, get some letters of rec in. DO ANYTHING TO MAKE YOU SHINE SOME MORE. Some schools say that once they see your file, it's complete and nothing added can make it better. In hindsight, it's not true. When they rank the alternate list, they see how much improvement you made from the last time they saw you. Keep calling until the day of the first class begins. There are some people who have gotten in on the first day of class. Never give up hope

Worst case scenario, you don't get accepted. What do you do? Call the admissions staff and ask "What can I do to improve my chances?" Then once you get a general answer, start a simple plan to work your way up. There is a student in my class that tried for 3 years and got in. Perserverance and determination....schools love that. HOpe this helps....Good luck and hopefully see you next year.

A close friend of mine was pulled off the waitlist on the Friday before orientation began the following Monday. He was planning on going to another school but once he got the call he cancelled at the other school and came to NSU.

TPBC,

Well I was on the waitlist last interview season at Nova. I interviewed on June 2nd 2003 (I know it was a very late interview). I was put on the waitlist until mid July when I was accepted. I chose not to go because I was accepted to my first choice school. All that I can say is that if you want to go to a school and you are on the waitlist, then you should call eachand every week so that they know who you are. Speak witht e director of admissions and let that school know that you want to go. I know that it works because my first choice accepted me. :clap: Good luck and don't lose hope.

Thank you so much for the replies... it gives me hope that I'll get in eventually this time around. If not, there's next year, but august would be nice! It's my own fault for applying in november:rolleyes: ;)

I have been an alternate since december(my interview went bad), i recived an email from the director reassuring me that they have not forgot about me and that they are still interviewing through march. Hopefully I can get in sometime after that. I have already been accepted into PCOM.

Good luck on getting in! Would you mind telling me how your interview "went bad"? It's ok if you do mind.

I thought that my interview went well; the doctors on the panel told me it did, but apparently not... this why I'm curious about what you think went wrong.

I got grilled al ot on ym stats and I had OK responses...I alos got asked stupid questions like "what makes you happy? and it through me for a loop...

Thanks for the reply! I'm sure you did a good job responding.. I had to answer Q's about not so good numbers too, and it is really tough. Let's just hope we come off the list soon! (I really hate the list..)