NSUCOM's Myopic 4th Year Electives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was just reading the curriculum for NSUCOM, and I am a little bit mystified by the fourth year electives. It shows that you can only take electives in Family Medicine, Geriatrics, OMT, and maybe one or two other specialties. What if a student wants to do rotations for anything other than these very few rotations? This seems to put NSUCOM students at a distinct disadvantage for getting into competitive residencies. Am I wrong? Maybe a NSUCOM third or fourth year student can clarify this issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Hardbody said:
So I was just reading the curriculum for NSUCOM, and I am a little bit mystified by the fourth year electives. It shows that you can only take electives in Family Medicine, Geriatrics, OMT, and maybe one or two other specialties. What if a student wants to do rotations for anything other than these very few rotations? This seems to put NSUCOM students at a distinct disadvantage for getting into competitive residencies. Am I wrong? Maybe a NSUCOM third or fourth year student can clarify this issue.
I'm pretty sure that is 100% wrong. I'm a 3rd year and under the impression I can do anything next year. You aren't supposed to do more than 2 months(I believe) of the same thing. for example, you can't do more than two months of ortho surgery. but you can still do more months of surgery in other surgical subspecialties.

HoodyHoo said:
I'm pretty sure that is 100% wrong. I'm a 3rd year and under the impression I can do anything next year. You aren't supposed to do more than 2 months(I believe) of the same thing. for example, you can't do more than two months of ortho surgery. but you can still do more months of surgery in other surgical subspecialties.

They should change their curriculum pdf online because it is very misleading. That being said, I am glad to hear differently from a third year student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hardbody said:

Not sure where you read this; it's wrong. The only rule is that you cannot do more than 2 months of a given specialty out of the 5 months of electives (or 6 months, if you give up your vacation month). So if you wanted to be a radiologist, you could set it up like this:

Diagnostic Radiology (2 months)
Pediatric Radiology (1 month)
Neuroradiology (1 month)
Interventional Radiology (1 month)

and that meets the school's requirements. Hope that clears it up.

I'm an NSU-COM graduate (2004) and to clarify, you can do an elective in whatever field you want, wherever you would like to arrange it. If I remember correctly, those 3 rotations are the only 4th year electives you can take AT NSUCOM (In their clinic). If there's any other questions, let me know.

-Rob Rubin DO
NSU-COM Class of 2004
Department of Pediatrics
Infant & Children's Hospital of Brooklyn
Maimonides Medical Center
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardbody said: