NU pre-secondary rejection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ewing

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people,

After I got my MCAT score, and my AMCAS was transmitted to NU yesterday, I figured I'd be in their computer system, so I should get started on the secondary.

I just tried to log into Northwestern's secure applicant website and got this message, "Sorry, site access is limited to applicants who have been invited to complete a FSM MD supplemental application form." This seems to be a real rejection message, because when I just put in some random letters I got, " Sorry, incorrect AAMC ID number, or the last name and AAMC ID do not match. If you do not know your AAMC ID, you should contact AMCAS directly at 202/828-0400."

I don't get it. I have a 3.6 and a 33...you'd think they'd at least want to take my secondary application fee?

Incidentally, I have not been able to log in to CWRU's secure website either...aren't I above these schools' cutoffs?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry...they just haven't entered your info into the database yet. You probably won't be able to access that site until they invite you for a secondary. Just sit tight, it's coming.

Don't worry...I was transmitted to Northwestern on 10/8 and I received my secondary invitation via snail mail on Tuesday...I think the letter was sent on the 13th...

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah you have to be officially invited first and that can take even a couple of weeks.

Originally posted by ewing
Hey people,

After I got my MCAT score, and my AMCAS was transmitted to NU yesterday, I figured I'd be in their computer system, so I should get started on the secondary.

I just tried to log into Northwestern's secure applicant website and got this message, "Sorry, site access is limited to applicants who have been invited to complete a FSM MD supplemental application form." This seems to be a real rejection message, because when I just put in some random letters I got, " Sorry, incorrect AAMC ID number, or the last name and AAMC ID do not match. If you do not know your AAMC ID, you should contact AMCAS directly at 202/828-0400."

I don't get it. I have a 3.6 and a 33...you'd think they'd at least want to take my secondary application fee?

Incidentally, I have not been able to log in to CWRU's secure website either...aren't I above these schools' cutoffs?

Don't worry about it, man. Just wait until you get notified. You should get it pretty soon. Good luck.

DON'T WORRY EWING.... it takes them a while to process your application... then they decide to send you a secondary or not....

I still havn't heard from them and its been 2 months since submitting to AMCAS, BUT I AM AN IDIOT because I stated that I would be taking the Aug MCAT when I'm NOT! thus slowing their processing of my files too! anyhow... I REALLY WOULD NOT worry with your stats

good luck

Yeah, so I have heard from CWRU, and am working on that secondary...but no love from NU. Oh well, I wasn't really counting on getting in there. I'll let y'all know if I do gain access to their online app, but at this point I'm not holding my breath. If I was, at this point I'd be cyanotic and/or dead.

Yea, I'm in the same boat as you with NW. Loyola too, I hope they are both just slow.

Originally posted by ewing
Hey people,

My experience wtih NU was kind of odd. I received by snail mail an invitation to complete the secondary which can be done online but must be snail-mailed back to them. I think the invitation arrived on Oct 3. In their letter they not only said that I had to return their letter with my application package but that I had to get everything in by Oct 14 and that if I wanted an extension I would have to let them know in writing 14 days in advance. Seeing as they only sent it out Sept 30 and I recieved it Oct 3 it all seemed a little heavy-handed to me. Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Originally posted by gschl1234
My experience wtih NU was kind of odd. I received by snail mail an invitation to complete the secondary which can be done online but must be snail-mailed back to them. I think the invitation arrived on Oct 3. In their letter they not only said that I had to return their letter with my application package but that I had to get everything in by Oct 14 and that if I wanted an extension I would have to let them know in writing 14 days in advance. Seeing as they only sent it out Sept 30 and I recieved it Oct 3 it all seemed a little heavy-handed to me. Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Woops, I just remembered, the application is a word document you have to download. You don't complete it online.

You're fine, gschl. They give everyone with a secondary a strict deadline to ensure that we all have the same amount of time to finish it. Though I've heard that they're pretty lenient about giving extensions, so if you really need it then you can ask. Good luck!

Yeah, so I have heard from CWRU, and am working on that secondary...but no love from NU. Oh well, I wasn't really counting on getting in there.

Ewing, have you gotten an official rejection from NU? Because otherwise I would politely disagree with nontraditional and venture a guess that, like others have said, you just haven't been granted access to the secondary yet.

It took them a good while to get back to me about the secondary, and then FOREVER to tell me about an interview. So don't freak out just yet. Best advice I can give is, once you do the secondary, just forget about that status page. All it'll do is tick you off every time you get on and see that nothing's changed!

And gschl, as essbe said, they shouldn't have a problem with you asking for an extension. Just explain to them when you got the letter and they should be fine. Good luck, everyone!

KEEP CHECKING THAT STATUS SITE until it lets you in. I found out I was invited for a secondary when the site finally let me log on... so I finished the application by the time the darn letter arrived.
In fact, the letter arrived the day before I was supposed to send the app in (Priority mail).

So the safest thing to do is check the site and get working on the app as soon as it lets you in. Otherwise you may get the letter too late to even send the app in on time (let alone fill it out).

Originally posted by essbe
You're fine, gschl. They give everyone with a secondary a strict deadline to ensure that we all have the same amount of time to finish it. Though I've heard that they're pretty lenient about giving extensions, so if you really need it then you can ask. Good luck!

Stupid me I killed myself that week trying to get it out in time! Their essays took a little bit of thought. Oh well, I was complete 1 day before the deadline.

thanks for the encouragment, people. I just got in to the site...now I have two weeks to fill out their app; wish me luck.

Incidentally, I got the official invite from CWRU yesterday, about 3 weeks after I got into their site using my own initiative.

gschl1234,

I was in the exact situation as you (same deadline and same day of receiving letter). Anyway, I called Northwestern, because there was no way I could type up three essays and have them received in Chicago in 10 days. They gave me an extension without asking any questions. Did you get an extension for yours?

i just got northwestern's secondary oct. 24 (dated oct 20) and it's sposed to be due monday nov 3. i didn't think i could request an extension, since it says you have to do it two weeks prior. and in the midst of doing my other lovely long secondaries (uc's, stanford, duke, etc) i forgot that the duedate is for receipt of my application, not postmark.

should i bother requesting an extension?

Originally posted by spaz
i just got northwestern's secondary oct. 24 (dated oct 20) and it's sposed to be due monday nov 3. i didn't think i could request an extension, since it says you have to do it two weeks prior. and in the midst of doing my other lovely long secondaries (uc's, stanford, duke, etc) i forgot that the duedate is for receipt of my application, not postmark.

Do you want to go there?

Originally posted by spaz

Try express mail. and make sure you call them to let them know that you sent it via express mail.

Originally posted by DoctorWannaBe
gschl1234,

I was in the exact situation as you (same deadline and same day of receiving letter). Anyway, I called Northwestern, because there was no way I could type up three essays and have them received in Chicago in 10 days. They gave me an extension without asking any questions. Did you get an extension for yours?

No I was really stupid and just did it and had it fed-exed. My father-in-law who's a professor at NU (not the med school) suggested I just call in but I was afraid that they'd put a note on my application indicating that I had an extension so I just bit the bullet. Also, I was afraid that they'd ask all these questions about why I can't get them done and I just couldn't think of a good answer other than 10 days is just not enough time which is really their fault and I wouldn't want to offend them or anything.

For all those wanting to request extensions, I suggest just calling them. That is what numerous people have done on this forum, and that is what I did. They didn't ask for any reason, and I asked them about 1 week before it was due. Hopefully they won't put letters in our files for requesting extensions.