Nu Sigma Nu and other medical fraternities/sororities, are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by quentintarrantino, Feb 11, 2002.

1. quentintarrantino

quentintarrantino Junior Member

Anybody have any opinion about these medical fraternities/sororities? Is there any advantage to it? Is it expensive? Have you or do you know of anyone who is in one?

Thanks in advance

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rajneel1

rajneel1 Senior Member

i have an opinion. i got into medical school without joining any of those. i talked to a friend of mine in medical school now who also thinks that they are not worth it. and none of his friends had to join them to get into medical school. i know people in similar societies and boy do they have big egos! i knew one guy in a pre med fraternity and he blew me away when he told him his frat does one community service project a quarter. one a quarter. i belonged to other organizatins that did service projects once a week! they are a waste of time.

4. rajneel1

rajneel1 Senior Member

and imagine how stressed you are going to be surrounded by a bunch of other pre meds...all of the time!

5. quentintarrantino

quentintarrantino Junior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> and imagine how stressed you are going to be surrounded by a bunch of other pre meds...all of the time!
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No...... medical fraternities/sororities for MEDICAL students (not pre-meds). Professional societies, etc.

6. Elysium

Elysium Not Really An Old Beaver

Non-Student
    For what it's worth, my dad was a Nu Sigma Nu at UTMB in 1970! I'm sure it's changed a bit since then, but he really enjoyed his experience in the frat. And my dad is way not a frat guy! I think they had a lot of social events and really really cheap rent.
    I guess I would talk to some current members and see if they like it or not.

7. drmoon

drmoon Senior Member

Just wanted to reply to the post name quentintarrantino. A friend of mine is pitching a movie idea to his production company (A Band Apart) today. His good friend used to be Tarrantino's personal aide. Thought it was funny to see this psuedonym.

8. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    I was looking at the medical frats cause they have some really cheap housing. i can see the benefit of living with a lot of other med students cause you can study together in a closer environment. since the majority of med schools are like commuter schools, it's nice to have the collegiate experience again.