nuclear vs cytosolic hormone receptors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hsans23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know off the top of their head which receptors are nuclear vs which are cytosolic and move into the nucleus? dumb question but i am forgetting everything as my test comes up :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

hsans what's up buddy

thryoid hormoness have nuclear receptors. steroids have receptors located in the cytoplasm. once the steroid binds, dimerization may occur, the heat shock protein is released, and then this complex goes into the nucleus. the zinc finger goes and binds to the DNA

hsans what's up buddy

thryoid hormoness have nuclear receptors. steroids have receptors located in the cytoplasm. once the steroid binds, dimerization may occur, the heat shock protein is released, and then this complex goes into the nucleus. the zinc finger goes and binds to the DNA

I agree. I think Vit A may also go directly to nucleus like thyroid.

BRS physiology has a nice table demonstrating the different types of receptors for all hormones.

Members don't see this ad :)
BRS physiology has a nice table demonstrating the different types of receptors for all hormones.
It does, but if you want a really detailed one, HY Cell & Molecular has an extremely thorough one on page 19. I got a question right on the real deal because of that chart.

Remember also that steroid hormones don't need 2nd messengers and don't need cytoplasmic receptors ;)

Just wanted to add that, as basic as that may be :p

Remember also that steroid hormones don't need 2nd messengers and don't need cytoplasmic receptors ;)

Just wanted to add that, as basic as that may be :p

I thought that what docmd2010 said was right on the money. It was my understanding that as a rule all steroid hormones have receptors in the cytoplasm except for thyroid hormones.