Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Number 99 of Chemistry Lecture 4 (page 82)

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by masterMood, Jun 22, 2008.

1. masterMood

masterMood Membership Revoked
    Removed

Post Doc
    How is it possible that say 50 g of a substance can have the same amount of energy as 50 g of the same substance at a different temperature?

For instance:

50 grams of Gold can absorb 100 joules of energy at 25 degrees Celsisu and at 50 degrees Celsius will absorb 100 joules of energy too.

EK says that this is probably a little too complex to be on the MCAT but I am curious seeing as the equation is

Q= C*delta T

and Q = mc*delta T, judging on that equation alone, it seems that increasing temperature is always proportional to the increase in heat.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. seraph524

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Hrmm...I guess an easy cop-out answer would be to use Einstein's E=mc^2 equation. The equation only cares about mass of the object, not the temperature.

Although, it has been like 4 years since I took physics, maybe I'm using the equation wrong? Any physics-gurus out there? (paging physics junkie!)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. masterMood

masterMood Membership Revoked
    Removed

Post Doc
    well if a physics major who is an MD/PHD doesn't really know this, then I'm gonna say banchod **** you hiramzeddah EK for asking ccrap that isn't gonna beo n it (unless it's in a passage and inferable from it).

4. unsung

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think the heat capacity of a substance is actually supposed to vary a little with temperature, although for the MCAT, we're supposed to assume it's a constant for all temps. Perhaps that's it?

5. Heyeon

Heyeon Heyeon
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Perhaps because the volume remains fairly constant so the molar heat capacity is constant..ie 100 J