SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Number 99 of Chemistry Lecture 4 (page 82)

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by masterMood, Jun 22, 2008.

1. masterMood

masterMood Banned Banned

Jun 25, 2004
    How is it possible that say 50 g of a substance can have the same amount of energy as 50 g of the same substance at a different temperature?

For instance:

50 grams of Gold can absorb 100 joules of energy at 25 degrees Celsisu and at 50 degrees Celsius will absorb 100 joules of energy too.

EK says that this is probably a little too complex to be on the MCAT but I am curious seeing as the equation is

Q= C*delta T

and Q = mc*delta T, judging on that equation alone, it seems that increasing temperature is always proportional to the increase in heat.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. seraph524

seraph524 M0 2+ Year Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Hrmm...I guess an easy cop-out answer would be to use Einstein's E=mc^2 equation. The equation only cares about mass of the object, not the temperature.

Although, it has been like 4 years since I took physics, maybe I'm using the equation wrong? Any physics-gurus out there? (paging physics junkie!)
  4. masterMood

masterMood Banned Banned

Jun 25, 2004
    well if a physics major who is an MD/PHD doesn't really know this, then I'm gonna say banchod **** you hiramzeddah EK for asking ccrap that isn't gonna beo n it (unless it's in a passage and inferable from it).
  5. unsung

unsung 10+ Year Member

Mar 12, 2007
    I think the heat capacity of a substance is actually supposed to vary a little with temperature, although for the MCAT, we're supposed to assume it's a constant for all temps. Perhaps that's it?
  6. Heyeon

Heyeon Heyeon 5+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Perhaps because the volume remains fairly constant so the molar heat capacity is 100 J