number of applicants goes up this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keikei

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know the approx. number of applicants this year? i heard it goes up by a lot, almost twice as last year

Members don't see this ad.

At my Temple interview yesterday, they said that they have received ~2000 applications compared to ~900 at the same time last year. I'd imagine this increase is similar at most other schools across the board.

it's safe to say there are going to be a lot more disappointed people this year than in previous years... this board is going to get pretty ugly in a few months :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
nrlee said:
At my Temple interview yesterday, they said that they have received ~2000 applications compared to ~900 at the same time last year. I'd imagine this increase is similar at most other schools across the board.
Geez, 2000. Aww man, competitive.

i talked to the admissions director for the university of alabama and he actually said applications are down just a bit from last year. part of that, he says, may be due to the new way applications are handled this year.

keikei said:
does anyone know the approx. number of applicants this year? i heard it goes up by a lot, almost twice as last year

Dr. Ayers at Creighton told me that they have 3000 applications.

organichemistry said:
i talked to the admissions director for the university of alabama and he actually said applications are down just a bit from last year. part of that, he says, may be due to the new way applications are handled this year.
no offense to your home state, but it might also have something to do with Alabama :laugh:

syn_apse said:
no offense to your home state, but it might also have something to do with Alabama :laugh:

it could... but see if you can dig up board performance over the past 5 years and tell me if you notice something. they are always in the top 10. and this past year i think they were number 1 (or at least that's the stuff the admissions director spouts off).

but in any event... yeah...

oh..crap. that's ridiculous....does it means the average score people wont get in this year?

then i guess NYU might get over 5000 applicants this year

people generally apply to more schools,

the average use to be around 6-7

now it's more like 12-15

as you can see - this has DOUBLED, which thus, results in what 'seems' like a pool twice the size of previous years.

this in turn, slows down the process, amongst adding to a whole bunch of other complications.

I agree with the bat. There are probably more people applying this year, but more people overall are probably applying to more schools which increases the number of applications everywhere. Although some schools are receiving almost twice as many applications this year as last year, I highly doubt that there are nearly twice as many applicants. That would be an increase of almost 10000 applicants, right? If that is true you'll see the AADSAS employees rollin on dubs and flying in platinum coated helicopters with leather covers.

oldboy said:
I agree with the bat. There are probably more people applying this year, but more people overall are probably applying to more schools which increases the number of applications everywhere. Although some schools are receiving almost twice as many applications this year as last year, I highly doubt that there are nearly twice as many applicants. That would be an increase of almost 10000 applicants, right?

i hope u are right, getting worry now

Members don't see this ad :)
oldboy said:
If that is true you'll see the AADSAS employees rollin on dubs and flying in platinum coated helicopters with leather covers.

lol :laugh: lol

seriously quit worrying, i learned last year its not worth the ulcers that this will give you if you look at all these stats....you've worked hard....just be patient and do lots of praying...

at my harvard interview they said they had recieved 45% more applications at this time than they had at this SAME time last year....

And remember that more pre meds are switching to dental.

No need to list all the goodies of been a dentist :D

I hope that I get in some where with a 3.5 GPA in 3 to 4 yrs from now :confused:

NOVA got about 2000 applications last yr....but really maybe 500 applications are complete and have decent GPAs....

keikei said:

Definitely going up. There has been a 12% increase over last year at the school I attend. It would seem common sense with all the positive press about dentistry. That WSJ article in the summer, a tale of two doctors, really went flying around the emails of pre-health students. Dentistry is hot right now.

keikei said:
then i guess NYU might get over 5000 applicants this year

i have the exact number for NYU: so far, 8,543 applications.

dat_student said:

8543, u gotta be joking.. 230:8543 and counting, that's less than 3% chance of getting admitted. wow.. that's pretty scary.

dat_student said:

you are kidding me....where did you get the number from?

It's kinda of unfortunate that so many qualified applicants will be rejected this year simply based on the fact so many people are applying. But I also think that applicant numbers are inflated this year because alot of people are applying to +10 schools. You have to realize that those +8000 that applied to NYU also applied to many other schools.

So the real question you need to ask is: of those +8000, how many of them have made NYU their #1 choice?

I've already accepted the fact that there is good chance I might not get accepted this year. But I have no idea where I should go from there.

Do a search on dat_student's posts and you will see he just likes to post nonsense.

definitely bogus. No way NYU got 8000+ apps. No way. If you believe his exaggerations you probably also believe without duct tape his wang drags on the floor when he walks. :eek:

wow look at how many ppl blieved DAt student..i mean 8000?? use some sence ppl...there was like 6500 applications TOTAL last year.!!!! how is one school gonna have more...... DAt student is old too so he has alzeimers..and probably some missing brain cells......no offence dat student..but i pretty much figured u out..ur still cool though :laugh:

oldboy said:
definitely bogus. No way NYU got 8000+ apps. No way. If you believe his exaggerations you probably also believe without duct tape his wang drags on the floor when he walks. :eek:

LMAO!!! :p

joooj86 said:
..there was like 6500 applications TOTAL last year.:laugh:

This year is not last year and I really don't know how many people applied last year but I can see that California schools alone accept approx. 520 students (if not more): UCSF (80 + 2 for DDS/PhD) + UCLA (88) + UOP (140 approx) + USC (130 approx) + Loma Linda (80 approx) = 520

Add NYU: 230 + 520 = 750 applicants

52 schools - 6 (5 CA schools + NYU) = 46 schools are left

if 6 schools accept 750 applicants how many applicants are accepted by 52 schools: 52 * 750 / 6 = 6500 applicants are accepted

joooj86: The above means that whoever applied last year got accepted.I doubt that and therefore I doubt 6,500 applicants applied last year.

dat_student said:
if 6 schools accept 750 applicants how many applicants are accepted by 52 schools: 52 * 750 / 6 = 6500 applicants are accepted
check this website out ...."this is like the number one thing u should do after deciding to pursue dentistry"!!!
http://www.adea.org/CPPA_Materials/2004_Dental_Ed_At_A_Glance.pdf
look at the figures...ya the acceptance rate is 60%...very interesting ha

joooj86 said:
check this website out ...."this is like the number one thing u should do after deciding to pursue dentistry"!!!
http://www.adea.org/CPPA_Materials/2004_Dental_Ed_At_A_Glance.pdf
look at the figures...ya the acceptance rate is 60%...very interesting ha

Very interesting. In 1998 there were 9,447 applicants and it was down to 7897 in 2003 (estimate). I'm sure in 2005 it is back up to the 1998 level if not higher.

Wish I had applied in 2003! I actually graduated in 2002 from college but worked in finance. Had a couple of friends who got into dental school that year and said admissions was pretty easy.

I wonder what was the reason for the decrease from 1998 to 2003? Also it will be interesting to see if it is cyclical and applicants begin to decrease in a few years. I doubt it, I have a feeling opinions of dentistry have really changed over the past few years and more applicants will come.

rajmahal2004 said:
I wonder what was the reason for the decrease from 1998 to 2003? Also it will be interesting to see if it is cyclical and applicants begin to decrease in a few years. I doubt it, I have a feeling opinions of dentistry have really changed over the past few years and more applicants will come.

I'm think it might have had something to do with the dot com boom. Anyone second-ing that?

Hello all... new to SDN and i thought i'd put in my 2 cents about NYU.

I was at NYU last week to check my app status and the admissions secretary told me that they had 5,000 applicants last year. And with schools reporting an increase of about 45%, i wouldnt be surprised if the total number of applicants was somewhere around 8,000. More importantly, i couldnt get any info about my app cuz their server was down and since no one has heard word from nyu, Im gonna assume that their sever has been crashing a lot. :thumbdown:

In response to dat student's formula, you can't include NYU cuz they accept twice as many students compared to other schools. Most schools accept around 100 students, so the number of accepted applicants is more like 5,500.

btw dat student, where did you get 8,543 from?

yeah... why are u spreading misinformation...

johnstylzes said:
I'm think it might have had something to do with the dot com boom. Anyone second-ing that?

Very good point! I second that...

hollow said:
Hello all... new to SDN and i thought i'd put in my 2 cents about NYU.

btw dat student, where did you get 8,543 from?

hey dAt student..nice new SDN name..funny how u ask ur self questions :laugh:

well, i guess we'll know the numbers by the end of the cycle......we'll see

joooj86 said:

I don't have any other SDN names....

joooj86 said:
wrong joooj

... but i wish i was dat student with all those interviews :p

burton117 said:
This link is not working for me.. any ideas??

Try it again, I just clicked on it and it came right up.

Utes

burton117 said:

It works for me. Send me an instant message via AOL and I directly send it to you P2P

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well"
Shakespeare - King Lear

INTERVIEWS: UCLA, UCSF, UPENN, Columbia, UCONN (University of Connecticut), University of Maryland, Boston University, University of Pittsburgh, Temple University, Indiana University, Case Western Reserve University, UMKC, UMDNJ, Nova, I don't recall the rest [I won't go to all interviews]

unit2013 said:
As of last month [SEPT] AADSAS had received 7500 applications.
Last year a total of about 6500 was receive by the end of the application cycle [MAR?]

How did you find out haow many they had as of September?

um i really doubt NYU has over 8,000 applicants.

they had just over 2,000 in the 2003-2004 cycle. i seriously doubt it has increased to 8,000, or even 5,000.

hell, there's not even 15,000 total applicants. do you really think over half apply to NYU?

joooj86 said:
wow look at how many ppl blieved DAt student..i mean 8000?? use some sence ppl...there was like 6500 applications TOTAL last year.!!!! how is one school gonna have more...... DAt student is old too so he has alzeimers..and probably some missing brain cells......no offence dat student..but i pretty much figured u out..ur still cool though :laugh:

Is this response in English?

burton117 said:

Make sure you have Adobe Acrobat Reader (At least).. Running Fire Fox and Acrobat 5.0 here... Works Fine
-C

unit2013 said:
As of last month [SEPT] AADSAS had received 7500 applications.
Last year a total of about 6500 was receive by the end of the application cycle [MAR?]

I doubt 6500 applicants apply. 6500 means almost everybody gets accepted.

SuperC said:
Is this response in English?

no spanish :smuggrin:

and what is with all the doubts..there is official figures just check the site!!

Utes said:
Try it again, I just clicked on it and it came right up.

Utes

Ok.. the link works now for me.. that was strange.. thanks! :thumbup:

dat_student said:
This year is not last year and I really don't know how many people applied last year but I can see that California schools alone accept approx. 520 students (if not more): UCSF (80 + 2 for DDS/PhD) + UCLA (88) + UOP (140 approx) + USC (130 approx) + Loma Linda (80 approx) = 520

Add NYU: 230 + 520 = 750 applicants

52 schools - 6 (5 CA schools + NYU) = 46 schools are left

joooj86: The above means that whoever applied last year got accepted.I doubt that and therefore I doubt 6,500 applicants applied last year.

Your math is off. There are only ~4,500 seats at US dental schools, and yes, the number of applicants far exceeds this number as well as 6,500. Here is a link from the ADEA that has the stats from 1995 to 2003. I can't recall the precise number of applicants from last cycle, but they were more numerous than the one previous and this cycle is shaping up to be the same. Not everyone who applied last cycle did not get into dental school, although not for the reasons that you listed.

Sorry but you people really waste time writing pure crap on this forum - ppl should really post things they know about.

At my UF interview last year the dean of admissions says applications are up 40% this year NATIONWIDE. She said UF received 1053 applications last year and as of right now (cycle ends Dec 1st) they're above 1400 applicants. So yes, numbers are up this year.....