1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Number of chances

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Suaveness, May 15, 2007.

1. Suaveness

Suaveness Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I searched and couldn't find anything, so I'll go ahead and ask. I want to know how many times you can take the MCAT, and is it bad if you take it more than twice. I took the exam in August, and didn't score particularly well. I'm considering September, but there's no guarantee I'll be ready. I don't know how many times I can take it afterwards, and I don't know if they allow you to take it more now that it is CBT (with more times to take it).

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AmArIe

10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    since the mcat is now cbt you can take it 3 times per year

4. Suaveness

Suaveness Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    And med schools don't mind you taking it 3 times a year?

5. AmArIe

10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Well it’s one thing to be able to take it 3 times year but is a different story the way a med school would see it. Just do well the first time then you won’t have to worry about retaking.

6. Suaveness

Suaveness Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well I mean I've already taken it once (Aug 06). If I remember correctly, before, they put a limit on taking the test.

If I take it in September and don't do great, and take it sometime next spring (which would be my 3rd attempt), I wonder how that would look.

7. LuoYing

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Apparently, the more times you take it, the worse it looks to med schools, because it looks like you are unable to gauge when you're ready. If you get to September and are scoring below your target score on practice exams, just don't take the exam! No miracle is going to happen during the exam -- if anything, you'll do worse because you're so nervous. On the other hand, recognize that getting a 45 is not a reasonable goal.