Number of chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suaveness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched and couldn't find anything, so I'll go ahead and ask. I want to know how many times you can take the MCAT, and is it bad if you take it more than twice. I took the exam in August, and didn't score particularly well. I'm considering September, but there's no guarantee I'll be ready. I don't know how many times I can take it afterwards, and I don't know if they allow you to take it more now that it is CBT (with more times to take it).

Members don't see this ad.

And med schools don't mind you taking it 3 times a year?

Well it’s one thing to be able to take it 3 times year but is a different story the way a med school would see it. Just do well the first time then you won’t have to worry about retaking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I mean I've already taken it once (Aug 06). If I remember correctly, before, they put a limit on taking the test.

If I take it in September and don't do great, and take it sometime next spring (which would be my 3rd attempt), I wonder how that would look.

Apparently, the more times you take it, the worse it looks to med schools, because it looks like you are unable to gauge when you're ready. If you get to September and are scoring below your target score on practice exams, just don't take the exam! No miracle is going to happen during the exam -- if anything, you'll do worse because you're so nervous. On the other hand, recognize that getting a 45 is not a reasonable goal.