number of Dental applicants per state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nasem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking.... I know the past couple years, the number has been around 12,500 applicants per year. Does anyone know the distribution of those applicants (number of applicants for each state).

Members don't see this ad.

I bet there is a lot of applicants from california, and not alot from the Dakotas.

I know 12,500 (divide) 50 gives you about 250 applicants from each state, but those numbers aren't exactly correct. Some states will have like 1000 while others will have only 50 (or even less)

Anyone know an actual website that shows the distribution of each state

Members don't see this ad :)
750 people applied for the 253 spots in Texas.

i bet there is much more than 1000 in CA....

Texas is the only state that can really give a good estimate. There's a large number applying from California and alot of quality applicants from Utah. Beyond that, there's no way of knowing. It's not like it matters though...the total number of applicants per cycle continues to increase and recently there has been a significant increase in the number of schools each of those applicants are applying to.

it is true that the number of applicants is increasing... but also, new dental schools are opening up. I hear 2 new schools will open up by 2008 cycle, thats what, about 200 new seats open (estimating 100 per new school).

I was 1 of 1 that I knew of applying from Alaska.

BYU has upwards of 300 students alone. Add the The U, Utah State, UVSC, Weber State, Southern Utah, and Dixie State and I am sure there is over 500 form the state alone.

I know that each school gets a report from AADSAS about application distribution. One of the recriuters had a report for 2007 cylce with him and gave us samples from it during his daylong presentation at our school.

I'm pretty sure one out of every 3 dental applicants is out of Utah. That whole state is some sort of predental student-manufacturing machine cranking out production.

That was for the class that enter in 2005. The number I have heard this year is more like 1000.

Thats a big jump for one year.

Still alot.

Here is how the the number of applicants has increased since 2002. So yes even though the increase is large it is possible.
2005 750
2004 668
2003 609
2002 496

I was just thinking.... I know the past couple years, the number has been around 12,500 applicants per year. Does anyone know the distribution of those applicants (number of applicants for each state).

For 2002 see R.G. Weaver, J. Dent. Ed. 68 (8) p. 880-900.

I was 1 of 1 that I knew of applying from Alaska.

There was a nice young lady from Alaska at my Pacific Interview , so you're not completely alone..:D

This is what I found for the 2002 application cycle.
Weaver_Table7.jpeg

Sweet...

ALASKA WINS with 90% making it in. :thumbup: :thumbup:

PchemGrad YOU ROXOR !!!!!!

I know 7500 applicants is low for today's pool, but just multiply it by almost 2x and you'll get the pool for today's applicants. Im happy to see that for 2002, only 283 people applied from michigan, which means today, that number is probebly around 350