Number of Dentists by Country per 100,000 population

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burton117

The Big Kahuna
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Data Query used on WHO website

This is a ranking of the number of dentists per country in the world according to the World Health Organization (WHO). Their data was last updated on October 26, 2004. So in terms of data integrity, this data should be as good as it gets.

I ran this query on the WHO website above to get the information attached to this post. Ran the query, exported to Excel, reformatted it, and then inserted the file into a Word document so that it could be attached here on SDN.

I thought the information was pretty pertinent in terms of what countries in the world need dental care...

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Number of Dentists in the World per 100,000.doc
    58 KB · Views: 3,670
I don't see the attachment on my side; you may need to repost.

I was able to find the data by searching the site though. It's interesting that Israel has more dentists per capita than any other country in the world. Twice as many as the US or Canada. Anything special about the Israeli diet that they need so many dentists? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Fixed. Thanks for sharing that.

12YearOldKid said:
I was able to find the data by searching the site though. It's interesting that Israel has more dentists per capita than any other country in the world. Twice as many as the US or Canada. Anything special about the Israeli diet that they need so many dentists? :)

Correction: According to the query, Norway has the highest per capita number of dentists. :D

I guess the whole point of this thread is to note the following countries which have 1 or less dentists per 100,000 population. That seems just unbelievable to me. :wow:

The dentists they do have in these countries must be insanely busy. :eek:

1. Angola
  2. Benin
  3. Burkina Faso
  4. Cameroon
  5. Central African Republic
  6. Chad
  7. Equatorial Guinea
  8. Eritrea
  9. Ethiopia
  10. Gambia
  11. Ghana
  12. Guinea
  13. Guinea-Bissau
  14. Lesotho
  15. Liberia
  16. Madagascar
  17. Malawi
  18. Mali
  19. Mozambique
  20. Niger
  21. Rwanda
  22. Sierra Leone
  23. Somalia
  24. Sudan
  25. Suriname
  26. Togo
  27. Uganda
  28. United Republic of Tanzania
  29. Zimbabwe

burton117 said:
I guess the whole point of this thread is to note the following countries which have 1 or less dentists per 100,000 population. That seems just unbelievable to me. :wow:

1. Angola
  2. Benin
  3. Burkina Faso
  4. Cameroon
  6. Chad
  7. Equatorial Guinea
  8. Eritrea
  9. Ethiopia
  10. Gambia
  11. Ghana
  12. Guinea
  13. Guinea-Bissau
  14. Lesotho
  15. Liberia
  16. Madagascar
  17. Malawi
  18. Mali
  19. Mozambique
  20. Niger
  21. Rwanda
  22. Sierra Leone
  23. Somalia
  24. Sudan
  25. Suriname
  26. Togo
  27. Uganda
  29. Zimbabwe
Sad to see that many of those countries are in Africa

Has anybody done dentistry in any of these countries and has an experience they'd like to share about?

burton117 said:

1. Angola
  2. Benin
  3. Burkina Faso
  4. Cameroon
  6. Chad
  7. Equatorial Guinea
  8. Eritrea
  9. Ethiopia
  10. Gambia
  11. Ghana
  12. Guinea
  13. Guinea-Bissau
  14. Lesotho
  15. Liberia
  16. Madagascar
  17. Malawi
  18. Mali
  19. Mozambique
  20. Niger
  21. Rwanda
  22. Sierra Leone
  23. Somalia
  24. Sudan
  25. Suriname
  26. Togo
  27. Uganda
  29. Zimbabwe

Its not that those dentists are busy, its that those people are can't afford dental care (most of them are barely getting food in their stomach day to day).

Also, seeing Brazil all the way on the top of the list isn't surprising. There's a dentist on every corner there. There's also a ridiculous number of dental schools there.

burton117 said:

1. Angola
  2. Benin
  3. Burkina Faso
  4. Cameroon
  6. Chad
  7. Equatorial Guinea
  8. Eritrea
  9. Ethiopia
  10. Gambia
  11. Ghana
  12. Guinea
  13. Guinea-Bissau
  14. Lesotho
  15. Liberia
  16. Madagascar
  17. Malawi
  18. Mali
  19. Mozambique
  20. Niger
  21. Rwanda
  22. Sierra Leone
  23. Somalia
  24. Sudan
  25. Suriname
  26. Togo
  27. Uganda
  29. Zimbabwe

Its not that those dentists are busy, its that those people are can't afford dental care (most of them are barely getting food in their stomach day to day).

Also, seeing Brazil all the way on the top of the list isn't surprising. There's a dentist on every corner there. There's also a ridiculous number of dental schools there.

burton117 said:

1. Angola
  2. Benin
  3. Burkina Faso
  4. Cameroon
  6. Chad
  7. Equatorial Guinea
  8. Eritrea
  9. Ethiopia
  10. Gambia
  11. Ghana
  12. Guinea
  13. Guinea-Bissau
  14. Lesotho
  15. Liberia
  16. Madagascar
  17. Malawi
  18. Mali
  19. Mozambique
  20. Niger
  21. Rwanda
  22. Sierra Leone
  23. Somalia
  24. Sudan
  25. Suriname
  26. Togo
  27. Uganda
  29. Zimbabwe

Actually, all the countries with the exception of Suriname are in or bordering (Madagascar) Africa. Dentistry would be a luxury most can't afford so if anyone is interested in a Dental mission to the developing world, voila...
The problems that could arise could be the lack of clean water, sterilization equipment and electricity so bring lots of disposables.

kenniemd said:
Actually, all the countries with the exception of Suriname are in or bordering (Madagascar) Africa. Dentistry would be a luxury most can't afford so if anyone is interested in a Dental mission to the developing world, voila...
The problems that could arise could be the lack of clean water, sterilization equipment and electricity so bring lots of disposables.

Does anybody know of any online resources which outline what kind of kits/products that would be ideal to bring on a dental mission of this sort?

Has anybody done dentistry in any of these countries and has an experience they'd like to share about?

I practiced in Zimbabwe for about 2 years. Made a lot of money when I got into private practice moonlighting mainly because rich white farmers patronized the practice. Before that I was working for the government which was extraction city. Killed my tendons. I'm heading back to Africa soon.

I practiced in Zimbabwe for about 2 years. Made a lot of money when I got into private practice moonlighting mainly because rich white farmers patronized the practice. Before that I was working for the government which was extraction city. Killed my tendons. I'm heading back to Africa soon.

I'm sure the people talking about this 2 years ago will be glad to hear that.

I'm sure the people talking about this 2 years ago will be glad to hear that.

I am definitely glad to hear from anybody and anyone who has the heart to work overseas in under served communities and countries and those with international experiences that are willing to share them.

Those who make fun of those who serve, I am not so glad to hear from.

I am definitely glad to hear from anybody and anyone who has the heart to work overseas in under served communities and countries and those with international experiences that are willing to share them.

Those who make fun of those who serve, I am not so glad to hear from.

Oh, because making "lots of money" from those "RICH WHITE FARMERS" is a great service to the people of Africa.

Ease up there "big kahuna", just pointing out how old the thread is.