Number of interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I received an interview from a program in NYC and I just found out they ask all their applicants “how many interviews do you have?” I know many people advise to play it coy and not answer directly. This is my only interview and I was planning to answer in all honestly that and truthfully it’s a program where I wanna be not just because it’s my only choice. My thought process is that they wanna know how highly you’re gonna rank them since most IMGs with a lot of ivs won’t rank NYC highly considering most programs are community programs with crazy workload.
Could it be they wanna know how competitive of an applicant I am? And since I have only one means not much. Should I lie and say I have more than one iv?

I would appreciate your input on this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's an illegal question only thing is is if you report them and you match there then your program might be on probation while training with them. Just tell them they are your number 1. Don't tell them how many IV. Pretty concerning overall they ask everyone this.

Reactions: 2 users
also doesn't look on you well if it's your only interview or invite

it's like asking someone how many people they've slept with... someone can get put off by high or low, and there may not be a Goldilocks just right value in any case

I still think coy is best here

also jacked that they asked this

I was also asked while on the trail, and I played coy

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I received an interview from a program in NYC and I just found out they ask all their applicants “how many interviews do you have?” I know many people advise to play it coy and not answer directly. This is my only interview and I was planning to answer in all honestly that and truthfully it’s a program where I wanna be not just because it’s my only choice. My thought process is that they wanna know how highly you’re gonna rank them since most IMGs with a lot of ivs won’t rank NYC highly considering most programs are community programs with crazy workload.
Could it be they wanna know how competitive of an applicant I am? And since I have only one means not much. Should I lie and say I have more than one iv?

I would appreciate your input on this. Thanks!

They ask you a stupid question. You give a stupid answer. You are interviewing at 15 other programs, but you priortize this one because of x, y, and z.
That's your reply.

Watch from 3:00 onwards.

Reactions: 1 user
also doesn't look on you well if it's your only interview or invite

it's like asking someone how many people they've slept with... someone can get put off by high or low, and there may not be a Goldilocks just right value in any case

I still think coy is best here

also jacked that they asked this

I was also asked while on the trail, and I played coy

"baby you're the only one I want. no one is more important to me than you"

brb texting my side chick

Stupid question asked by insecure programs/interviewer.

"Im fortunate to have several opportunities but am really excited about my visit to your program"

Be generic and don't answer.

Stupid question asked by insecure programs/interviewer.

"Im fortunate to have several opportunities but am really excited about my visit to your program"

Be generic and don't answer.

Agreed.

A few times I had the sense that the interviewer was possibly trying to determine my "worth" by seeing how "desirable" I was to other programs, or make me feel insecure. Overall it did just have the effect of making me wonder WTF was wrong with them.

Agreed.

A few times I had the sense that the interviewer was possibly trying to determine my "worth" by seeing how "desirable" I was to other programs, or make me feel insecure. Overall it did just have the effect of making me wonder WTF was wrong with them.

A similarly obnoxious question is "so where else are you interviewing?"

"University programs in the Midwest/Northeast/whatever"

I was asked this about where else I was interviewing at in the city and even tho I had two other places, I just said I’m still waiting to hear back from other places and your program is the one I’m most excited about because XYZ. Lol. Stupid questions deserve stupid answers

Reactions: 2 users
At some point it's like some sort of **** test, like, how good are you at diplomatic bullshyteing, deflecting, not saying what you really mean, and fake smiling? Because you definitely need plenty of that to do well in this program! That's what we look for in a successful resident.

Don't underestimate the value of coming up with stupid answers for stupid questions. That's like 90% of the interview process if you ask me, and being good at it truly is part of the "art" of medicine in any case.

Do they ask this as part of the actual interview? That's pretty bad if so. I've had plenty of residents ask me offhand questions about where I've been and have also offered information about my travels. I usually see it as a harmless question (when you spend hours sitting around a table and have to find something to talk about). It also gave me a way to find out from residents why they specifically chose their program over a nearby, apparently similar program.

If the PD/APD or a faculty member were to ask me during the official interview, however, that would certainly set off alarm bells.

Do they ask this as part of the actual interview? That's pretty bad if so. I've had plenty of residents ask me offhand questions about where I've been and have also offered information about my travels. I usually see it as a harmless question (when you spend hours sitting around a table and have to find something to talk about). It also gave me a way to find out from residents why they specifically chose their program over a nearby, apparently similar program.

If the PD/APD or a faculty member were to ask me during the official interview, however, that would certainly set off alarm bells.

My memory of all this is a bit foggy, but I was definitely asked where else I was looking. I think generally it was benign and they wanted a chance to say why they were better but still a BS question.