number of lor needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harmnot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that you need three lor but I 've also heard four. I currently have three. Do I need to get another one?

Members don't see this ad.

Three LORs are fine. You can send programs an additional letter, but it’s not mandatory. Get another one if you think it will significantly help your overall application.

so if most of the programs that I am applying to only requires three with the exception of a few that requires four, do I send the additional lor to eras or directly to the programs?

so if most of the programs that I am applying to only requires three with the exception of a few that requires four, do I send the additional lor to eras or directly to the programs?

ERAS directly, and there is no harm in sending a 4th letter to programs that require 3 if you wish.

Are there any programs that require 4 letters? I thought 3 was the standard

Do the work - go to the website for each program you plan on applying to and see how many letters they require. 3 is fine for most but I've run across a couple programs that require 4.