Number of LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liquidshock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If schools say (like Mount Sinai or Johns Hopkins) that they want 2 LORs, can I send more? I dunno which one to send.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you can send more.

I sent 5 (two science class, one non-science class, one premed letter, and one volunteering) to all the schools I applied to.

7 is considered "the upper limit"

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow great info...omg here I was agonizing over which of the 7 to send :scared:

some schools may not allow 7..to be on the safe side you should call the school or look it up on their website. In case they don't accept all 7- you should try to have a variety:
sceince/non-science/volunteer/research/work/EC

if you have more than 2, send more, but i think the "safe" upper limit is 5. i'm sending 4.

If schools say (like Mount Sinai or Johns Hopkins) that they want 2 LORs, can I send more? I dunno which one to send.

If you're looking at Mount Sinai, I recommend e-mailing and confirming that your LOR selection will be good enough. Turned out that what I sent the first time didn't meet their requirements, so I wasted a couple months having my application sit in the problem pile. (They require three minimum, by the way, two from science profs and one from a humanities prof.)

Bottom line: read the school's website CAREFULLY. If you are quite certain the info isn't there, then call or e-mail and ask. I've had questions for 2 or 3 schools so far, and each time was afraid that the admissions office people would sneer at me, but they've been quite nice.

I think 7 is a bit extreme. Unless each says something unique about you, then cut the number down to 5 at most. Better to have 3 solid letters than 7 lukewarm ones

5 is the magic number!