Number of PA residents that Apply to PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spunk11

Wishing for PCOM
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Does anyone know the number of PA applicants that normally apply to PCOM? I was just wondering because I heard that the average class was made up of about 60% PA residents. Thanks in advance for any info. :) SPUNKY

Members don't see this ad.

ANYONE!?!?? :confused:

i have no clue, but would also really really like to know if anyone can help or give an approximation. thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The following information is from my premium USNEWS subscription. If you need information on other schools, just let me know. I hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fall 2001 Admissions Statistics for PCOM

Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled
Total: 3,430 664 398 251
In state: 547 284 231 156
Out of state: 2,883 380 167 95
Women: 1,609 194 180 115
Minorities: 1,195 137 77 49
International: 0 0 2 2

11.6% acceptance rate

GPA
Average undergraduate GPA: 3.43

MCAT
Overall score (composite): 8
Verbal reasoning: 7.9
Physical sciences: 7.9
Biological: 8.3
Writing: O

Undergraduate Majors
Biological sciences (biology, microbiology, zoology, etc.): 74%
Physical sciences (biochemistry, chemistry, engineering, etc.): 10%
Non-sciences (sociology, economics, English, etc.): 8%
Other health professions (nursing, pharmacy, etc.): 7%
Mixed disciplines and other: 1%

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much WishUponAStar!! Your information was just what I have been looking for :) By the way..CONGRATS on being part of the class of 2006! That is quite an accomplishment.

I am hoping to be going there next year..any advice!?!? Thanks again... SPUNKY:)

Advice for you Spunky,

It took me 3 years to get into PCOM. The first time I applied I received no interview. The second time I applied I received an interview and a rejection. I finally made it in on the third try.

The biggest thing I can say is to make sure you show the admission's people at PCOM that you want to go there above ANY other school. I can say with accuracy, that my commitment to their school was probably what swayed them to accept me. I had the numbers, but so does half of their applicant pool. Show them that you want to attend PCOM and that you are serious.

Email and call regularly. Keep them updated on all of your progress. Once you submit your application, keep on updating it with letters of new volunteering experiences, or new research experiences, or new coursework... Show continued interest. Don't just mail in that secondary and forget about it. They may forget about you too.

Those numbers are accurate.

I heard that PCOM last year got 4,000 applications.

And, as of one month ago (at an open house) they said they have already received 400+ applications.

WishUponAStar & JPHazelton,
Thanks for the advice and information!!

Are either of you PA residents??

yes, thanks to everyone. i am also a PA resident and pcom is my 1st choice, BY FAR, so any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. does anyone know how early they start offering interviews? i think they've just started reviewing applications, but i sent my application a few weeks ago and would just like to know what their timeline is like.;)

does ne one know about PCOM residency placement rate? any web site? any DL? anybody!? (i requested placement infos from DO schools...but PCOM still didn't get bact to me on this)

:confused:

Tigerlily,
What part of PA are you from?

Anyway, I believe that PCOM usually starts interviews in September (someone correct me if I am wrong)

djjj08,
Check out their website: www.pcom.edu

:) SPUNKY

spunk 11-west chester (30 minutes outside philadelphia), how about you?

Tigerlily -- I am from Central PA (about 2 1/2 hours from Philly). Currently I am in State College. :)

Hello,

Here is some basic residency information. ~95% of PCOM graduates get their first choice. 100% get one of their top 3 choices.

To my knowledge, PCOM starts interviewing again late August/September.

I strongly suggest that you apply with a D.O. letter of recommendation, preferably from a PCOM graduate. The more ties you have with the school, the better. Having your D.O. recommender phone in a recommendation along with a letter is excellent, especially if they have ties with the school. I am not trying to make it sound like a popularity contest, but to some extent it is. Anything you can do to make yourself stand out a little bit more than the next applicant is to your advantage. You are fighting for one of 250 seats, and as many as 4000 people apply in a year. Show them you are the best of the best.

I am not from Pennsylvania, but did undergrad in Philadelphia.

As far as residency, I am not sure about the match rates into their top choices, etc,

I thikn PCOMs numbers are high for a couple of reasons. First, they are a good school with a great reputation for educating top doctors. Also, PCOM has a VERY high percentage of students committed to the military in some branch (as compared to other schools).

I do know that in years past, particularly as of late, about 50% of the class has been matching into specialty areas.

I think that the Class of 2001 was 48% primary care and 52% specialty, the first time PCOM has ever had a class more directed to specialties than primary care.

Hope this info has helped.

Good luck.