Number of pages of scratch paper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lychee3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the test, how many pieces of scratch paper do you get per section?

If you need new scratch paper for the next section, do you get it during the break?

Members don't see this ad.

Just four pages? Oh boy. I usually write large. Did they give you dinky little pencils, or were they normal sized?

How early should we get to the test center?

You will have two normal sized #2 pencils that erase perfectly fine. Some test centers will allow you to start early and/or let you pick where to sit in a first come, first serve basis. The best thing to do is to go to your test center a few days prior to your exam and ask the proctor about their policies. I would recommend ~30-40mins early. Do not plan on coming more than 1hr early, since the wait will provoke anxiety.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prometric gives you a colored booklet with at least 6 pages. You get to leave it on your desk....I recommend writing ALL the formulas you can as soon as you sit down. You get to leave it on your desk. I was thinking you may also do a quick fresher upper during the WS/BS break and go memorize some Ochem rxns and put those down once you sign back in.

It was most probably 6 pages, however I would strongly recommend asking your center about their policies before keeping notes in your locker. Some are very stict and can even void your test for looking at your MCAT material.

Prometric gives you a colored booklet with at least 6 pages. You get to leave it on your desk....I recommend writing ALL the formulas you can as soon as you sit down. You get to leave it on your desk. I was thinking you may also do a quick fresher upper during the WS/BS break and go memorize some Ochem rxns and put those down once you sign back in.

When can you write all the formulas down? do you have time?

I work at a Prometric Test Center. Each person is given a scratch paper booklet with two pencils. If you fill up your booklet, you may bring it out and it will be shredded and REPLACED with a blank one. You may not have more than one scratch booklet at a time. Also, you are NOT allowed to review study materials, notes, use a cell phone or leave the center during breaks. Any of these is a violation of the rules and WILL get your test voided.

I work at a Prometric Test Center. Each person is given a scratch paper booklet with two pencils. If you fill up your booklet, you may bring it out and it will be shredded and REPLACED with a blank one. You may not have more than one scratch booklet at a time. Also, you are NOT allowed to review study materials, notes, use a cell phone or leave the center during breaks. Any of these is a violation of the rules and WILL get your test voided.

Two pencils, yay! I was going to ask about that.

Are we allowed to bring earplugs?

Kaplan suggests doing light reading between the PS and VR to switch to critical reading mindset. Can we bring in a book/article?

Also, can we get our pencils sharpened during breaks?

We DO NOT provide earplugs - only orange, noise reducing earmuffs. Also, according to the client practice for the MCAT (the one the test centers are supplied with), no earplugs are allowed to be brought to the test center. Also, we do provide you with new sharpened pencils if your become dull or break.

4.Will earplugs be available to block out noise?
Noise reduction headsets will be available.

5.Can I bring my own earplugs?
No.
Quoted from http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/miscfaq.htm#4

Even though this is the aamc policies and do not provide centers with earplugs, I would still call your center and ask. Most centers have a supply of earplugs from other examinations and may not mind providing you with one if they dont already plan to. Again, each center is slightly different and I am not disagreeing with ProTCA in his statement.

Last edited: