Number of Post-Secondary Experiences on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peter Parker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that medical schools value quality over quantity, but there is always the urge to list every last activity. How many have you guys listed? The full 15 or just a few?

Members don't see this ad.

i listed 14 -- excluded activities like dorm secretary and spring formal committee. i've been out of school for a while, so that's why i have 14. probably if i were still in college i'd only list 8 or 10. i included varsity tennis, premedical program abroad, a couple of honors i received, and work/research/volunteer experience.

"I know that medical schools value quality over quantity, but there is always the urge to list every last activity."

EXACTLY! Especially since you can't rank your most important activities first. In retrospect, I shouldn't have put so many down on my AMCAS last year. The poster presentation overshadowed the publications, same thing with the one month stint with Habitat. Don't put down that you attended meetings for the premed club. I also wouldn't put down Who's Who, The National Dean's List, Golden Key, Phi Eta Sigma (Phi Beta Kappa definitely). Of course, this is assuming you have excellent extracurriculars.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only had 8, but they were all significant time-consuming activities. I didn't put dean's list or premed club (but probably because I forgot to -since they are so insignificant). I also forgot to put "New member secretary" of my sorority, but it's no big deal. Since they limit you to 15, try not to fill it up with fluff, because it may take away from the important activities you want them to notice. On th eother hand, 15 is not many, and lots of applicants may very well have that many important ECs. Do what you think is right. :)

I had too many but it is because I have been out for a while and had many many poste presentations and papers in retro spec, I agree the publications were major and got overshadowed by the 10 posters/abstracts so not many interviewers read my activities, however, I would recommend writting for example 3 poster presentations and first authored abstracts at x meeting or what ever...I would really try to emphasize the well roundedness of your application as much as possible