Number of Programs to Apply To

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JP2740

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have great letters of rec, decent research and step numbers - how many programs should I apply to? Some people are recommending like 40-50, but I think that's overkill. Would 20 be too little?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was similar.

I took the attitude of, you can only apply once, and you never know how things will shake out. There seemed to be quite a lot of realistic triage by programs, in that I did not get interviews at some of my "safeties." You can always cancel interviews. So IMO it is better to over apply than to under apply.

At a high ranked academic program, have great letters of rec, decent research and step numbers - how many programs should I apply to? Some people are recommending like 40-50, but I think that's overkill. Would 20 be too little?

had a couple of buddies who fit this bill, both applied to ~20 (not sure if they applied broadly or not, but got good # of IVs). one didn't match, other went down his rank list. you never know, so I would be on the safe side.

Members don't see this ad :)
had a couple of buddies who fit this bill, both applied to ~20 (not sure if they applied broadly or not, but got good # of IVs). one didn't match, other went down his rank list. you never know, so I would be on the safe side.

I think the reason was probably also the accuracy of your description of their application and the programs they applied to. A high ranked (as opposed to top) IM program is at least a top 20 IM program, decent research should at least mean 2+ GI publications, and decent step means higher than avg IM step. "Everyone" has strong letters. If you're in that group, 20-30 should be fine. If you're coming from a top IM program or have extensive research in GI you can get away with 10-15 applications. As Kjamess said, at a certain point, some programs will not offer interviews for those overqualified.