Number of projected applicants- Up or Down?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dweji16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was having this conversation with some friends.

A few argued that the number of med school applicants should increase this coming cycle, as it traditionally does every year.

And then a few others argued that it will actually go down, especially if the healthcare bill passes, as many would be turned off to becoming a doctor due to the changes it might cause in terms of reimbursements and pay.

I could see it going both ways.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I would expect applications to go up, not because they do every year but because in a bad economy people tend to look for a financially safe career. And lots of people go back to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the number of applicants will go down.
the only reason it would go down is if these pre meds are going into medicine for the money. I honestly dont think alot of ppl go into medicine for the right reasons.Especially younger applicants.

dont get me wrong though, there r def a lot of ppl that like medicine bc of the nature of the work and dont care about money.

I think the number of applicants will go down.
the only reason it would go down is if these pre meds are going into medicine for the money. I honestly dont think alot of ppl go into medicine for the right reasons.Especially younger applicants.

dont get me wrong though, there r def a lot of ppl that like medicine bc of the nature of the work and dont care about money.

Main argument my friends who projected a downward trend were giving... it's all about the money.

I still think it's a bit of a toss up. Could go both ways.