Number of Radiology Residency Programs on the Rise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medsRus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is it that radiology residency positions have increased for both PGY-1 (categorical) and PGY-2 (advanced) spots? It's the only specialty to accomplish this accordingly to the NRMP 2009 data. Will there eventually be an over-saturation of radiologists and work will be tough to secure? Please fill me in...

In any event, it looks like this is great for at least getting into rads for residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Trying to predict future workforce trends is about as difficult as it comes...but if they're increasing residency spots in the face of self-interest, to me that implies they believe the future will be quite healthy for radiology.
Just look at current CT and nucs trends...
This economic 'downturn', like all others, will eventually pass I'm sure...

With the continued growth in imaging utilization, there is a need for more rads. In addition, as new studies and technologies are constantly being created in rads, there is more and more work for radiologists. Better to train more people here then to start sending studies overseas. Personally, I'm hoping rads groups will start covering more nights/weekends (in lieu of nighthawk), which means more rads per group to cover the extra hours, which means training more residents.

How is it that radiology residency positions have increased for both PGY-1 (categorical) and PGY-2 (advanced) spots? It's the only specialty to accomplish this accordingly to the NRMP 2009 data. Will there eventually be an over-saturation of radiologists and work will be tough to secure? Please fill me in...

In any event, it looks like this is great for at least getting into rads for residency.

rad onc spots have also been increasing at the PGY-2 level (never understood why there are PGY-1 spots).