Number of research units/credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justforgotfrag

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, So I wanted to get graded credit for doing research at my school this quarter, and while filling out the application, I saw that you could get upto 8 units of research units. The common trend at my school is to do 4 units a quarter upto 32 units total.
What I was thinking is that if I could do 8 units a quarter for the next 4 quarters, I could encash all 32 units of A's from research before med school applications (a BCPM GPA boost) instead only being able to have only 16 units count towards by BCPM GPA. I definitely do not put hours worth 8 units of credit into my lab but I talked to my PI and he said he was ok with me doing this.
Do you think med schools will question this when they see 8 units a quarter of research for four quarters? Is there anyway it could jeopardize my admission to schools? Thanks and hope my question makes sense!

Members don't see this ad.

They might if the hours don't add up... Even if your PI is okay with it, it's still a bad idea to claim credit for work you haven't done. Especially since it sounds like you're doubling the hours. That's a pretty big difference. It can be pretty obvious if you come across a skilled interviewer.

Also, 8 credits of research per semester is a lot. Do you still plan on taking the normal number of classes? Does look kind of weird if half your semester credit comes from research when you still have a lot of class requirements to meet.