Number of school you guys are applying for 08 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rusky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just going to do 5, since I have to repeat my classes anyway and might have to retake DAT.

Members don't see this ad.

0 -- thank God my ship came in before my dock rotted! I would also apply to more than 5 and apply EARLY! First time around I applied to 5 schools in November and didn't even get an interview. This time I applied to about 10 and I had a few interviews. Good luck.

I might suggest applying to more than 5 schools. From my experiences and hearing people's experiences on sdn there is always a level of chance in the process. I'd apply to a few more just for good measure. Sure the extra money and hassle stinks but it's worth it to increase your options.

Members don't see this ad :)
15 - 20. mostly because i want to see what kind of feedback i get for interview invites. no holds barred. to quote that guy from outside providence... "i'm puttin' my cards on the thing." all or none, baby! woo hoo, i'm ready!:D :cool:

where is the poll, by the way?

i'm still making/finalizing my list of schools to apply to and it's at 15-16 right now...

I'm casting my net far and wide...first time I applied to 10, second time 22, and this time I'm thinking about 20-25 (depending on my DAT retake). Either way, applying early is the key!

I'm casting my net far and wide...first time I applied to 10, second time 22, and this time I'm thinking about 20-25 (depending on my DAT retake). Either way, applying early is the key!

wow!
after 10, I'd think that if you aren't getting an interview, it's not going to happen by applying to even more schools. have you improved your application?

Of course I improved my application. First time I applied with only 90 hours so it was a long shot anyway, this time around just about everything that could go wrong did go wrong (i.e. transcripts, LORs, etc) which caused my application to get held up 3 long months. I did get interviews and some waitlists, just no acceptance. Like I said before, the key is to have everything lined up and ready to go so you can apply early.

I researched the schools and decided to apply to 16.
I checked those schools when I registered for the DAT last week.
I might add about 2-3 more though..

I think that, unless your stellar, superb, awesome candidate you should apply to at least 15.

Look at Shamrock for example - he got LOTS of interviews and ended up on something like 6 waitlists. He finally got into NYU a Detroit Mercy, but what would have happened if he didn't apply to either if those schools?

Or take me for example: I applied to 15, got 4 interviews (NYU, Temple, Tufts and Penn) and 1 acceptance and 3 waitlists. What if I didn't apply to NYU? I would be so stressed right now.

Also, the schools that interviewed me are completely random - you can't really predict where you'll be invited to interview, so don't tailor your application choices to schools that you think you'll get into because you never know what they're looking for.

Anyway, my point is apply to as many schools as you can especially with the increased number of applicants this cycle (a little less than 40% matriculation)- I can only imagine it will be harder to get in next cycle.

wow. I thought my 8 schools would be enough. I guess I better add more to the list....

10 total: 5 in state, 5 out-of-state

Members don't see this ad :)
I am thinking about applying to 8-11 schools. If you apply to TOO MANY won't each dental school think that your chances of attending their school will be small and therefore not accept you???? :confused:

wow. I thought my 8 schools would be enough. I guess I better add more to the list....

People are always going to have a reason why too many is bad, and too little is bad. I feel like there's no happy median. I think 10 seems like a good number. When you apply to not enough, then I heard they see it as you being conceited or something. Like I said no happy median...lol

So if you apply to TOO MANY then the dental schools won't take you seriously b/c they think you won't attend their school or that you are not very serious and didn't research your schools well and do NOT know what is better or worst etc. and you don't know what you want in a school.

If you apply to TOO FEW, then you will be screwed if that few or ONE didn't accept you and they might think you are conceited too (or broke lol...)

So I guess 8 or 10 is a GOOD NUMBER! :thumbup:

People are always going to have a reason why too many is bad, and too little is bad. I feel like there's no happy median. I think 10 seems like a good number. When you apply to not enough, then I heard they see it as you being conceited or something. Like I said no happy median...lol

So if you apply to TOO MANY then the dental schools won't take you seriously b/c they think you won't attend their school or that you are not very serious and didn't research your schools well and do NOT know what is better or worst etc. and you don't know what you want in a school.

If you apply to TOO FEW, then you will be screwed if that few or ONE didn't accept you and they might think you are conceited too (or broke lol...)

Good point. I might add a couple more still and shoot for 10. I'm dreading the bill for that, incuding the extra DAT scores sent out. :(

If your STATS are stellar, then you might be able to get away with 5 or 6 schools, but if your stats are good but not the BEST then I would do like 8 or 10...
(I know I hate the bill too, thats why I am debateing on how many I should apply too.. lol...)

Good point. I might add a couple more still and shoot for 10. I'm dreading the bill for that, incuding the extra DAT scores sent out. :(

Once in a lifetime guys, don't it right or don't do it at all...what you'll spend now, you'll make up for later...

i would recommend that everyone applies to at least 10 schools. even if your stats measure up to a particular dental school, you dont know how they will view your application.

Under the impression that 10 was the average (May have gone up). Because applicants are on the rise, it's better to apply to more than ten than less.

Also, based on personal experience (or coinkidink), the schools that were interested in me were the ones geographically close to me.

Also, based on personal experience (or coinkidink), the schools that were interested in me were the ones geographically close to me.

yea i had that same experience.

i am planning to apply 8-10...no more than 10...any comments on that?

Fortunately, each dental school has no idea as to how many schools their applicants applied to or where. To be safe, I would spread the wealth...

im confused....i didn't know dental schools knew which other schools you applied to...cuz i was planning to apply to about 15.....

clarification please?

im confused....i didn't know dental schools knew which other schools you applied to...cuz i was planning to apply to about 15.....

clarification please?

As far as I know, they don't. Many ask you during the interview, though, which other schools you are interested in.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter if they know or don't know that you're applying to 20 schools. Only 2 schools asked me where I applied and how many. What matters is ...if they like you and if they think you're a good fit for their school. If I have to do it over again....I would do my research and go with 15. Hit the big private dental schools.

does any1 happen to know any website that gives out list of private d-schools?