Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Number of Schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by samyjay, Aug 26, 2002.

1. samyjay

samyjay Senior Member

Medical Student
    I just have a general question. Where do people get the funds and time to apply to 30 or more schools? Is there a point where you guys are sacrificing time and quality for shear quantity? Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tBw

tBw totally deluded

from my bountiful trust fund of course.....

4. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!

Attending Physician
    AMCAS Fee Waiver sure helps.

5. SMW

SMW Grand Member

I only applied to 23 schools, but my mom helped with the typing/mailing, etc. which was a godsend as I was studying for the August MCAT. My folks picked up all application costs as well. Thanks, Mom & Dad!

6. agent

agent agent, RN

im probably only going to be applying to 3 schools considering I cannot move due to family restrictions.

anyone else only applying to in-state schools?

7. tBw

tBw totally deluded

hmm, interesting - I am applying out of state but why only 3 schools for you? I thought there were 5 or 6 in Chicago (UIC, Pritzker, Northwest, Rush, Loyola, CCOM are the ones I can think of)?

8. lola

lola Bovine Member

I thought the AMCAS fee waiver only picked up a certain number of schools (10?)

I work full time, and my parents are helping me out some. I'm only (ha!) applying to 25 schools.

9. 2badr

2badr **Switch**

I will probably only apply to in-state schools as well.

10. agent

agent agent, RN

Yes, but I only really feel like applying at Rush, Loyola, and UIC.

I guess I could apply to Pritker, but I have no idea what my MCAT score will be so if its good enough then maybe i will.

11. TroutBum

TroutBum Senior Member

Visa, baby, it's everywhere you want to be.

I applied to 18 schools, and for me I think it was pretty much a 50/50 split for schools that wanted checks and those that let you pay with plastic. So, I channeled pretty much all the money from my second job into application fees, and for the rest I charged it.

I agree with you Samjay, I don't think I would be able to handle 30 applications and feel like I did a good job on all of them--I was feeling pretty much rocked after 15.

12. blues

blues Member

I applied to 30.... but half of them screen. I am not expecting many from the screeners. I figured I will try anyways! Only an extra $30!

Blues

13. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member

I applied to an insane number of schools through AMCAS... like 35... but I'm planning on only doing about 17-18 secondaries. I don't know what I was thinking with AMCAS... oh well.

14. kidsmd

kidsmd Senior Member

i applied to 33.... yes, the number can be overwhelming but I've tried to invest as much time to each of them as i possibly could (while that is extremely tiring with a full-time job.)...BUT after awhile there's a lot of taking some things from one essay and adding it to another.. and then, there's the thought that since this is something i really want, i better put my all into it regardless of how exhausted it may leave me. I have a cold right now and i'm surprised i didn't get it sooner considering how tired i've been and how much more vulnerable that makes little ol me to getting sick. Anyways i got rejected from one already (Stanford, big surprise!)... so that takes it down to 32...and i've gotten every secondary except from some of the UCs (gee, that was hard to figure out)... and most of the secondaries i got were from schools that didn't screen.. FUN, fun this process is.

15. blackbird03

blackbird03 Senior Member

Do you guys know if it is possible to get a fee waiver for secondaries even if we didn't apply for a fee waiver for AMCAS?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

Helps definitely for AMCAS. What about for secondaries?

And then flying to interviews, yikes. Ideally they'll give you at least 2 weeks notice, or those fares will jump sky high, unless you fly all the great low-fare airlines (JetBlue, Air Trans, Southwest, etc.)...

-RA

18. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member

50 schools... no joke! + 10 in Canada and (worse comes to worse) 2 in the carribean (Saba/St. George)... I have to start in September 2003.... so that is 62 in total....yeah.... I better get in lol:p

19. Street Philosopher

Most schools will allow you to use the AMCAS fee waiver to waive secondary fees as well. As for flying, that's what I'm nervous about (the cost), but it's not like we're gonna get 20 interviews right? heh

20. Centrum

Centrum SMILEY KING

Wow. How are your stats?

21. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member

Hi centrum my GPA is 3.5, I redid my MCAT this August I think I did alright... lots of extra curricular activities... anyvayzzzz I have plenty of time on my hands (just graduated) :) and taking this year off.... I do want to work though... might interfere....

22. Centrum

Centrum SMILEY KING

Good deal. Best of luck!!

23. kawaiij

kawaiij Junior Member

I applied to ONLY 24 schools, I kinda had to because I've only got one state school, and that is U.S.News top ranked primary care, UW. Plus washington residents complete with 4 other states for the spots. Anyways, I thought 24 would not be that many, but I work full-time and I'm struggling to get all of them done. I find that the ones that have lengthy essays attached, get put into the back of the pile, CWRU, etc.....I'm really getting behind, so I took off of work early (I'm in sales so no one will ever know, hehe) and ended up not doing secondaries like I was supposed to and spending my time cruising SDN instead.

24. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member

You guys are insane! Not to mention rich.

It took me a while to convince myself to go up to 11, but I'm definitely done now.