Number of Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samyjay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have a general question. Where do people get the funds and time to apply to 30 or more schools? Is there a point where you guys are sacrificing time and quality for shear quantity? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by samyjay
I just have a general question. Where do people get the funds and time to apply to 30 or more schools? Is there a point where you guys are sacrificing time and quality for shear quantity? Thanks

from my bountiful trust fund of course.....

AMCAS Fee Waiver sure helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only applied to 23 schools, but my mom helped with the typing/mailing, etc. which was a godsend as I was studying for the August MCAT. My folks picked up all application costs as well. Thanks, Mom & Dad!

im probably only going to be applying to 3 schools considering I cannot move due to family restrictions.

anyone else only applying to in-state schools?

Originally posted by agent
im probably only going to be applying to 3 schools considering I cannot move due to family restrictions.

anyone else only applying to in-state schools?

hmm, interesting - I am applying out of state but why only 3 schools for you? I thought there were 5 or 6 in Chicago (UIC, Pritzker, Northwest, Rush, Loyola, CCOM are the ones I can think of)?

I thought the AMCAS fee waiver only picked up a certain number of schools (10?)

I work full time, and my parents are helping me out some. I'm only (ha!) applying to 25 schools.

I will probably only apply to in-state schools as well.

Originally posted by the boy wonder

hmm, interesting - I am applying out of state but why only 3 schools for you? I thought there were 5 or 6 in Chicago (UIC, Pritzker, Northwest, Rush, Loyola, CCOM are the ones I can think of)?

Yes, but I only really feel like applying at Rush, Loyola, and UIC.

I guess I could apply to Pritker, but I have no idea what my MCAT score will be so if its good enough then maybe i will.

Visa, baby, it's everywhere you want to be.

I applied to 18 schools, and for me I think it was pretty much a 50/50 split for schools that wanted checks and those that let you pay with plastic. So, I channeled pretty much all the money from my second job into application fees, and for the rest I charged it.

I agree with you Samjay, I don't think I would be able to handle 30 applications and feel like I did a good job on all of them--I was feeling pretty much rocked after 15.

I applied to 30.... but half of them screen. I am not expecting many from the screeners. I figured I will try anyways! Only an extra $30!

Blues

I applied to an insane number of schools through AMCAS... like 35... but I'm planning on only doing about 17-18 secondaries. I don't know what I was thinking with AMCAS... oh well.

i applied to 33.... yes, the number can be overwhelming but I've tried to invest as much time to each of them as i possibly could (while that is extremely tiring with a full-time job.)...BUT after awhile there's a lot of taking some things from one essay and adding it to another.. and then, there's the thought that since this is something i really want, i better put my all into it regardless of how exhausted it may leave me. I have a cold right now and i'm surprised i didn't get it sooner considering how tired i've been and how much more vulnerable that makes little ol me to getting sick. Anyways i got rejected from one already (Stanford, big surprise!)... so that takes it down to 32...and i've gotten every secondary except from some of the UCs (gee, that was hard to figure out)... and most of the secondaries i got were from schools that didn't screen.. FUN, fun this process is.

Do you guys know if it is possible to get a fee waiver for secondaries even if we didn't apply for a fee waiver for AMCAS?

Originally posted by SolidGold
AMCAS Fee Waiver sure helps.

Helps definitely for AMCAS. What about for secondaries?

And then flying to interviews, yikes. Ideally they'll give you at least 2 weeks notice, or those fares will jump sky high, unless you fly all the great low-fare airlines (JetBlue, Air Trans, Southwest, etc.)...

-RA

50 schools... no joke! + 10 in Canada and (worse comes to worse) 2 in the carribean (Saba/St. George)... I have to start in September 2003.... so that is 62 in total....yeah.... I better get in lol:p

Originally posted by Random Access

Helps definitely for AMCAS. What about for secondaries?

And then flying to interviews, yikes. Ideally they'll give you at least 2 weeks notice, or those fares will jump sky high, unless you fly all the great low-fare airlines (JetBlue, Air Trans, Southwest, etc.)...

-RA

Most schools will allow you to use the AMCAS fee waiver to waive secondary fees as well. As for flying, that's what I'm nervous about (the cost), but it's not like we're gonna get 20 interviews right? heh

Originally posted by ocean11
50 schools... no joke! + 10 in Canada and (worse comes to worse) 2 in the carribean (Saba/St. George)... I have to start in September 2003.... so that is 62 in total....yeah.... I better get in lol:p

Wow. How are your stats?

Hi centrum my GPA is 3.5, I redid my MCAT this August I think I did alright... lots of extra curricular activities... anyvayzzzz I have plenty of time on my hands (just graduated) :) and taking this year off.... I do want to work though... might interfere....

Originally posted by ocean11
Hi centrum my GPA is 3.5, I redid my MCAT this August I think I did alright... lots of extra curricular activities... anyvayzzzz I have plenty of time on my hands (just graduated) :) and taking this year off.... I do want to work though... might interfere....

Good deal. Best of luck!!

I applied to ONLY 24 schools, I kinda had to because I've only got one state school, and that is U.S.News top ranked primary care, UW. Plus washington residents complete with 4 other states for the spots. Anyways, I thought 24 would not be that many, but I work full-time and I'm struggling to get all of them done. I find that the ones that have lengthy essays attached, get put into the back of the pile, CWRU, etc.....I'm really getting behind, so I took off of work early (I'm in sales so no one will ever know, hehe) and ended up not doing secondaries like I was supposed to and spending my time cruising SDN instead.

You guys are insane! Not to mention rich.

It took me a while to convince myself to go up to 11, but I'm definitely done now.