Number of years applying before acceptance to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathdr2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious for you doctors-in training, how many years/application cycles did you apply to before finally getting accepted to medical school?

I've heard that it takes an average of 2. I'll be on my second "cycle" next year.

Members don't see this ad.

For me, it took 3 application cycles, and what a roller coaster it was. Each time I didn't make it, I would have to reevaluate whether medicine was truly for me and I would go through all of my other options. Even up until this past winter I was wondering if I was just wasting my time, but I am glad I kept trying because I ended up exactly where I wanted to be!

Members don't see this ad :)
Three application cycles. :eek: I admire your determination towards medicine. What did you do to improve?

Got in on the first try. I'm not sure what would've happened had I not been accepted. I was pretty discouraged about the application process - my stats could've been better, and I had virtually no clinical exposure. Somehow, I got accepted at all my "long shots" and rejected at my "safety" schools. Go figure.

Good luck,

doepug
MS III, Johns Hopkins

Once. Lucky I guess...Don't think I could slog through the process again, though I guess I would have if I had too.

Got in first try, but told myself that I would do it twice if necessary. Figured that after being turned down 2x I would just move on.

the trick seems to be applying to lots of schools. Those who apply to just a few have to keep on trying. But it's rare to find someone who applied to 20+ schools having to try too many times. It's all a game of odds b/c there are SOOO many great applicants out there, it's tough for schools to choose, so the more chances you have the better.

I think many schools look for reapplicants, b/c they are the ones who have really thought through this decision and still want it, not just the kids straight from college who weren't sure what else to do with their lives. Keep your determination up and you will eventually get in.

I told myself that I would give it one shot and got in on the first try. Over 50% of my class are second or third time applicants.

Three.

94 - 20 schools, no interviews

95 - 25 schools, no interviews

01 - 25 schools, 4 interviews, one acceptance, two waitlists

So, 8 years, 70 attemtps, one acceptance, but I suppose that's all you need. :rolleyes:

One time. 24 Secondaries completed (out of the 26 I was sent).

I didn't want to do it again.

My friend who got in on her third try (with more than one acceptance by the end of the summer) did about 35 secondaries. She only did about 12 the first 2 times. I'm a big believer in casting a wide net, although my pre-med advisor said that statistically after about 20 applications, the chance of acceptance seems to flatten off.

Best of luck this time around.

1x, the key for me was to do everything right.

1. do things early
2. write good apps
3. have a good combination of grades + ECs + research + clinical experience

I finally got in on the 3rd try- another example of this ridiculous crapshoot that is the admissions process. There was nothing wrong with my application previously- I had double-digit MCATs, a good GPA, lots of clinical experience, great recommendations, etc. Nothing really changed between my 2nd and 3rd times- but the 2nd time, I only got 1 interview, no acceptances, whereas the 3rd time I got 4 interviews, 3 acceptances, 1 waitlist. Go figure. Thank God that's all over now. Getting into med school was by far the hardest part of med school so far- much tougher than anatomy or biochem or even neuro!
This process is so ridiculously arbitrary. Just don't EVER take rejection personally and don't let anyone tell you you're not good enough. Make sure you apply to enough schools, get everything in early, and never give up! Good luck!

This is the first time I have read this board in a week. Kind of makes me wonder if med school was the right choice for me- MIDTERMS SUCK!

Anyway, one application cycle and 5 acceptances.

I think that it is important to keep in mind that no matter how many years it takes you to get in that once classes start it doesn't make much difference whether it took you one year or three or more to get in. Some of my classmates who took three years to get in have been at the top of the class and, more importantly, pass the "Would I send a family member to see them?" test. So don't get discouraged if it takes you longer to get it -- the additional hard work will only help you in the long run!

Once. I don't necessarily agree with the idea that the more places you apply to, the better your chance. I chose NOT to apply to 30 freaking schools and save my money. I actually only completed three secondaries and two interviews. Received 2 acceptances. Just be realistic. If you aren't going to get into harvard, save your money and don't apply there. There are some people in my class who applied to a ton of schools like that and I really don't see what benefit it was. Oh, and if you really want to be a doctor, you will apply more than once.

Originally posted by KyGrlDr2B
Once. I don't necessarily agree with the idea that the more places you apply to, the better your chance. I chose NOT to apply to 30 freaking schools and save my money. I actually only completed three secondaries and two interviews. Received 2 acceptances. Just be realistic. If you aren't going to get into harvard, save your money and don't apply there. There are some people in my class who applied to a ton of schools like that and I really don't see what benefit it was. Oh, and if you really want to be a doctor, you will apply more than once.

Actually, a lot of people from California apply to 30 freaking schools because of the fierce competition.

Originally posted by kutastha
Actually, a lot of people from California apply to 30 freaking schools because of the fierce competition.

Yeah I know that, I was excluding CA residents.

One time, and it was all luck. I applied to 18 schools, and most of them were in the "lower" tier. This process is a crapshoot, so don't get disheartened if you don't make it the first time...the people who get in are just lucky. There are more qualified applicants than spaces, so med schools pick randomly (as far as I'm concerned).

Best of luck this round!

Thanks everyone for all the postive feedback!!!:D