Number of Yrs/Board Exams for Med-Peds PCC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halcyon_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know Med-Peds is typically 4 years and pulm/crit fellowship is another 3 years, but can anyone tell me how it would work if I wanted to be able to do pulm/crit on both IM & peds side? Is it still 7 years or how many exactly? And how many board certifications would that require?

Members don't see this ad.

To be fully boarded in MICU/PICU (do you mean pulm crit or just critical care for medicine) it would be a minimum of 9 years of training if I’m not wrong. 4 years for med peds, 2 years for critical care medicine (3 if you want to do pulm crit) and 3 for picu. You’d take the IM, pedi, Medicine critical care, peds critical care, and maybe the adult pulmonology boards.

There are only a handful (like 5 or so) MICU/PICU trained people nationally.

edit: I’m being told there are a handful of programs (UPMC is an example) that consolidates 6 years of adult ICU and PICU into four years.

I know Med-Peds is typically 4 years and pulm/crit fellowship is another 3 years, but can anyone tell me how it would work if I wanted to be able to do pulm/crit on both IM & peds side? Is it still 7 years or how many exactly? And how many board certifications would that require?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
4 years med peds, 4-6 years for fellowship. 4 or 5 boards depending on if you pursue adult pulm. Very few people have done it, fewer are actively practicing in both areas. One is in Hawaii, another I believe at washu, and I think another at Pitt. One current fellow that I know of in Florida. Difficult for the respective programs to make work and continues to be challenging from an employment perspective.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a long road. At this point due to the Peds research requirements in fellowship, all combined fellowships are at least 4 years. I had some upper levels pursue the critical care route ahead of me and they were quoted 4 years - 3 for PICU and then a 1 year adult CC fellowship. There is no pulm in that option so you have 4 boards: med, peds, PICU, and adult CC.

I am a pgy6 in combined ID which is an identical program length and number of boards. It isn't easy, but I was sure I wanted to do it. So far I haven't regretted it, despite starting ID in a pandemic...

As a side note
At my institution we have a Med Peds ICU doc who did PICU alone and still does adult ICU based on his core training and fellowship electives. Hes been in practice 10-15 years now and does more adult than peds (70:30 or so) with good success.

thank you everyone for the in-depth replies! it really helps a lot. I’d be interested in the route @andrek82 mentioned about doing Med-Peds and then fellowship in just Peds pulm/crit. Are academic hospitals typically open to having doctors with this kind of training do both MICU/PICU? or would such a thing be frowned upon

thank you everyone for the in-depth replies! it really helps a lot. I’d be interested in the route @andrek82 mentioned about doing Med-Peds and then fellowship in just Peds pulm/crit. Are academic hospitals typically open to having doctors with this kind of training do both MICU/PICU? or would such a thing be frowned upon
I think this is location and need dependent. I'm at a lower mid tier academic institution. So, it's possible, but probably not everywhere.