Number or New Referrals per week/ month?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecentral09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all, I am working as a solo hospital employee in a very busy and expanding practice. It seems like no matter what we do we can never catch up with demand. Currently, all interventional, no narcotics, However, writing recommendations for a Opioids to all 15-20 PCPs. For the more experienced folk, approximately how many new patients or referrals do you typically Receive in a week or month?

Members don't see this ad.

I would be very interested to see what everyone’s experiences have been with this as well. I started my practice in September.
I had 20 new referrals in October , 30 in November and about 35 here in December.

Reactions: 1 user
Average 15/ week is what I have seen over the past 5 yrs. Actually the quality of referrals is as important as the total no of referrals.

3-4 new patients a day over the years will build you a very stable patient base. Usually takes about 3-4 years for word to get out and get referrals through word of mouth.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I saw 43 news in November, 38 in December with taking a week off. However, I also don't mind managing opiates and am relatively new out of fellowship.

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly with bronchospasm. Quality is way more important than quantity. I’m about 16 months out of fellowship and have averaged 85 new patient visits per month over the past year. We have 2 dedicated marketing people in our group that helped get my name out there and I hit the pavement hard starting out to meet PCPs face to face. There was also a large unmet need at this particular location. Just a couple of non fellowship trained older guys around.

Reactions: 1 user
Any other takers for what some achievable goals should be?

I saw 43 news in November, 38 in December with taking a week off. However, I also don't mind managing opiates and am relatively new out of fellowship.
do u manage all doses or <90mmeq?

Any other takers for what some achievable goals should be?
I’m in an ortho practice so I get a ton of internal referrals. I’m 5 months into practice so still heavily weighted toward new patients. I see about 10 new patients a day on average, with about 40% of those being external referrals from local PCPs and spine surgeons. I have 1 1/2 procedure days and 1/2 day ASC, so 3 clinic days a week total.

I’m in an ortho practice so I get a ton of internal referrals. I’m 5 months into practice so still heavily weighted toward new patients. I see about 10 new patients a day on average, with about 40% of those being external referrals from local PCPs and spine surgeons. I have 1 1/2 procedure days and 1/2 day ASC, so 3 clinic days a week total.
What do u do at ASC that’s different than clinic procedure days?

do u manage all doses or <90mmeq?

If above 90 MMED, I either wean below 90 or refuse depending on the person. Sometimes I'll try Belbuca or Butrans. Sometimes I simply refer to a suboxone provider. If between 50 and 90 MMED, they're weaned below 50. If below 50, I address weaning every visit. I have two legacy people I allow to stay above 90MMED, but I consider them palliative care cases and they have failed significant weans. Well documented in chart my reasons. Even then, they're weaned below 200MMED however.

According to my state, I write more opiate prescriptions than my peers, but they're in lower dosages and lower amounts. I also don't allow concurrent marijuana or benzodiazepine use. I also don't start people on opiates.

Reactions: 3 users