Numbers from the MSAR 2009-2010 versus 2008-2009 cycle

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Begaster, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Begaster

So I've been flipping through it to find schools, and I've noticed that, compared to the LizzyM score compilation somebody on these forums did last year, the median scores shot up this last cycle.

Quite significantly in some cases. Ie - Stanford went from 69.5 --> 74. USC - 68 --> 71. UC Davis - 66 --> 68.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm just calculating the median GPA * 10 + median MCAT - 1. Is it possibly something to do with the fact that I'm looking at the median of each section of the MCAT, instead of an overall median score? A bit confused.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SketchLazy

Resident [Any Field]
    No, median GPAs and MCAT scores have gone up in the 2009-2010 MSAR, so you're calculating them right. Technically you can't add median MCAT scores from each section together, but that is what was done to calculate the LizzyM scores for the previous years.

4. Begaster

That's one hell of a jump over a single year.

5. jrossz71

Pre-Medical
    I believe we're at the crest in the cycle, no? I've been told that beginning this year application numbers will begin to decline once again. Hence, lower numbers likely for once next year.

6. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna

Fellow [Any Field]
    yes..... med school has been getting and more and more competitive every year. there is no surprise there since it seems like someone mentions it every other week on here.

7. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS

Resident [Any Field]
    I doubt it... when the economy is bad, people go back to school - hence I would imagine the numbers are only going to get worse.

8. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    That's what I've heard - and more people taking the MCAT means more people getting high scores.

9. redlight

redlight Senior Member :D

Pre-Medical
    nah, in addition to what flop and chad have said, i think med apps will increase with the # of undergrad students (which is expected to increase until the class of '14ish or so).. of course im assuming the % of all undergrad that are premed stays roughly constant from year to year

and, also, with the previous years having a lot of med school applicants, it means a lot of people didn't get in and will probably reapply.. though i'm not sure exactly how big of an impact they'll have overall