numbers, letters and chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramz

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone wana discuss the competitiveness of schools...those who got interviews in particular...i know of someone with a 3,95 who didnt get a secondary for UCLA yet, and i did with my modest gpa

Members don't see this ad.

Pat yourself on the back bud.....

Originally posted by ramz
Does anyone wana discuss the competitiveness of schools...those who got interviews in particular...i know of someone with a 3,95 who didnt get a secondary for UCLA yet, and i did with my modest gpa

Competitiveness does not equal GPA. Obviously there were other factors. When comparing a BUNCH of people MCAT+GPA matters, but when comparing a few it doesnt as much.

Members don't see this ad :)
This debate has been exhausted; but I still believe that #s will get your foot in the door (i.e. interviews) because they catch the eyes of adcoms very quickly; the intangible factors/life experiences only get to shine once your foot is in the door; before everyone jumps on me, I'm just basing this on my own observations of the application experiences of my friends and relatives and myself

Originally posted by batman123
This debate has been exhausted; but I still believe that #s will get your foot in the door (i.e. interviews) because they catch the eyes of adcoms very quickly; the intangible factors/life experiences only get to shine once your foot is in the door; before everyone jumps on me, I'm just basing this on my own observations of the application experiences of my friends and relatives and myself

I agree completely, but if his 3.95 was from a not-so-reputable school and his MCATs did not agree with the 3.95, then he unfortunately got his foot slammed on by the door =(

3.95 from the top school in canada

31 mcat

Originally posted by ramz
3.95 from the top school in canada

31 mcat

It was probably the MCAT then =(

Originally posted by Gleevec
I agree completely, but if his 3.95 was from a not-so-reputable school and his MCATs did not agree with the 3.95, then he unfortunately got his foot slammed on by the door =(

By numbers I meant high GPA and MCAT; asa result, I may go so far as to say that a GPA of 3.5-3.6 coupled with a very high MCAT will do your better than a 3.95 and a 31 (as ramz has posted)

Ramz....

what is the best school in Canada? If you're in undergrad and making this claim, I hope you went to one of the smaller maritime universities, cause schools like St. FX, Acadia and Mount Alison always take that title.

~JZ

Originally posted by GuesswhozBizzak
Ramz....

what is the best school in Canada? If you're in undergrad and making this claim, I hope you went to one of the smaller maritime universities, cause schools like St. FX, Acadia and Mount Alison always take that title.

~JZ

Best school in canada....I'd have to vote for McGill though Waterloo is up there too. McGill has such beautiful buildings!.

canada.jpg

Its going to have to be factors aside from purely number that he didnt get a secondary. I have stats almost identical to those and I got a secondary from UCLA. Of course thats all I have gotten from them, and I havent heard a peep from them since they got my money:rolleyes:
As for trying to understand/guess the screening process, I gave up on that a loooong time ago.

There is no top school in Canada!!!! We don't have this funny private/public situation like the US does. Everyone likes to believe that their school is best, though :)

Originally posted by canadagirl
There is no top school in Canada!!!! We don't have this funny private/public situation like the US does. Everyone likes to believe that their school is best, though :)

The few ppl from Canada at my school say that McGill is though.

Did they got to McGill? :p

We know up here that for some reason Americans seem to think McGill is this incredible place. And there's nothing wrong with McGill - but I have yet to find any Canadian who DOESN'T go to McGill who thinks it's the best school in Canada.

McGill, UBC, and U of Toronto are the three oldest and most established (and most beurocratic ;)) schools in Canada, and they each have research programs and particular aspects which are excellent. But they aren't the "Harvards" of Canada or anything - we just don't have it.

There is also NO school in Canada which is hard to get into from high school, McGill included. And getting into McGill medical school as a Quebec resident is far less competitive than, say, getting into McMaster medical school as an Ontario resident.

Originally posted by Gleevec
The few ppl from Canada at my school say that McGill is though.

Oh, I meant 2 Canadians who goto my undergrad.