1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

numbers, letters and chances

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ramz, Nov 25, 2002.

1. ramz

ramz Membership Revoked
    Removed

Does anyone wana discuss the competitiveness of schools...those who got interviews in particular...i know of someone with a 3,95 who didnt get a secondary for UCLA yet, and i did with my modest gpa

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. surfdevl02

surfdevl02 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pat yourself on the back bud.....

4. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

Competitiveness does not equal GPA. Obviously there were other factors. When comparing a BUNCH of people MCAT+GPA matters, but when comparing a few it doesnt as much.

5. batman123

batman123 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

This debate has been exhausted; but I still believe that #s will get your foot in the door (i.e. interviews) because they catch the eyes of adcoms very quickly; the intangible factors/life experiences only get to shine once your foot is in the door; before everyone jumps on me, I'm just basing this on my own observations of the application experiences of my friends and relatives and myself

6. Gleevec

7+ Year Member

I agree completely, but if his 3.95 was from a not-so-reputable school and his MCATs did not agree with the 3.95, then he unfortunately got his foot slammed on by the door =(

7. ramz

ramz Membership Revoked
    Removed

3.95 from the top school in canada

31 mcat

8. Gleevec

7+ Year Member

It was probably the MCAT then =(

9. batman123

batman123 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

By numbers I meant high GPA and MCAT; asa result, I may go so far as to say that a GPA of 3.5-3.6 coupled with a very high MCAT will do your better than a 3.95 and a 31 (as ramz has posted)

10. GuesswhozBizzak

7+ Year Member

Ramz....

what is the best school in Canada? If you're in undergrad and making this claim, I hope you went to one of the smaller maritime universities, cause schools like St. FX, Acadia and Mount Alison always take that title.

~JZ

11. Kovox

Kovox Going Places
    7+ Year Member

Best school in canada....I'd have to vote for McGill though Waterloo is up there too. McGill has such beautiful buildings!.

12. TeinVI

TeinVI Membership Revoked
    Removed

13. randomlogik

randomlogik Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Its going to have to be factors aside from purely number that he didnt get a secondary. I have stats almost identical to those and I got a secondary from UCLA. Of course thats all I have gotten from them, and I havent heard a peep from them since they got my money:rolleyes:
    As for trying to understand/guess the screening process, I gave up on that a loooong time ago.

14. canadagirl

canadagirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

There is no top school in Canada!!!! We don't have this funny private/public situation like the US does. Everyone likes to believe that their school is best, though :)

15. Gleevec

7+ Year Member

The few ppl from Canada at my school say that McGill is though.

16. canadagirl

canadagirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Did they got to McGill? :p

We know up here that for some reason Americans seem to think McGill is this incredible place. And there's nothing wrong with McGill - but I have yet to find any Canadian who DOESN'T go to McGill who thinks it's the best school in Canada.

McGill, UBC, and U of Toronto are the three oldest and most established (and most beurocratic ;)) schools in Canada, and they each have research programs and particular aspects which are excellent. But they aren't the "Harvards" of Canada or anything - we just don't have it.

There is also NO school in Canada which is hard to get into from high school, McGill included. And getting into McGill medical school as a Quebec resident is far less competitive than, say, getting into McMaster medical school as an Ontario resident.

17. Gleevec

7+ Year Member

Oh, I meant 2 Canadians who goto my undergrad.