numbers vs. research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjorklund

straight apemuggin'
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, is a 36 on the MCAT high enough to compensate for little or no research when applying to the top schools?

Members don't see this ad.

bjorklund said:
hey guys, is a 36 on the MCAT high enough to compensate for little or no research when applying to the top schools?

For most regular MD schools, yes-but not without other leadership/community service activities. For MD/PhD, no

What do you mean by "top" schools?

bjorklund said:

If by "top" schools you mean the top 10 on USNews, then, IMHO, 36 and no research is probably not enough. Those schools are really competitive and many applicants have 34+ MCAT scores with significant background activities, most of which includes research. But it also depends how your other activities are, but research is a big big plus in their eyes.

Members don't see this ad :)
ironmanf14 said:
For most regular MD schools, yes-but not without other leadership/community service activities. For MD/PhD, no

What do you mean by "top" schools?

I meant the top ranking schools in primary care (US News); Duke, UCSF, UWash. I worked in a research lab for a few months but was never involved in any novel pursuits and I'm not sure if that counts towards credibility in research.

bjorklund said:

I'd say that, unless you won a Nobel Prize or are a Rhodes Scholar, your chances look pretty grim. Maybe you could consider applying for a custodial position in a hospital.

premed machine3 said:
I'd say that, unless you won a Nobel Prize or are a Rhodes Scholar, your chances look pretty grim. Maybe you could consider applying for a custodial position in a hospital.

Its an honor to be insulted Mr. Machine III, your grandfather was a great man.

He's baaack!

bjorklund said:
I meant the top ranking schools in primary care (US News); Duke, UCSF, UWash. I worked in a research lab for a few months but was never involved in any novel pursuits and I'm not sure if that counts towards credibility in research.
You should be fine. At least I hope. I'm in a similar boat. :D

premed machine3 said:

Can i get your autograph?!

I wonder about this as well. I have a 33, which is good but nothing spectacular. I didn't do any research like one would think of traditionally. I did do an independent study in engineering however, so I'm hoping that helps me a little. Still applied to a bunch of top research schools though. We'll see...

bjorklund said:

No schools look at an applicant one dimensionally. A high MCAT does not compensate for other stats per se -- there isn't a balance that tilts back and forth. I suspect you get looked at most places with a 36 and a decent GPA. But that doesn't mean you will beat out the 32 and similarly decent GPA with much better ECs. In most cases that other dude wins.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't let the trolls on this board trick you into believing that research is a medical school requirement. That is far from the truth. Do you have any significant work experience? If so, put your thinking cap on and figure out what parallels there are between research and your profession. I guarantee that it is possible to sell your real world experience as far superior to the silly gruntwork that 80% of undergrads pass off as research.

hermit said:
Don't let the trolls on this board trick you into believing that research is a medical school requirement. That is far from the truth.

he asked about the top schools which tend to be research focused. if you check out the msar, 90+% of accepted applicants at Harvard, Hopkins, and Stanford did research. Now its not a requirement, but 90% out of a class at Stanford or Hopkins means that less than 10 of their students per class hadn't done research.

At lother institutions research is less important and not really needed for admissions, but I would see it as a grave disadvantage to go into the application process at research oriented med schools without having any research experience.

quantummechanic said:
he asked about the top schools which tend to be research focused.
Actually he asked about the top primary care schools which are more forgiving in the research department.

hermit said:
Actually he asked about the top primary care schools which are more forgiving in the research department.

yeah i didnt read that post but regardless according to the msar, the schools he was mentioning:

% of accepted applicants with research experience:

Duke: 93%
UWash: 78%
UCSF: 90%

Research as undergrad is obviously at least something most successful applicants at all 3 schools tried.

And also a side note, the primary care rankings should not be confused for rankings based on quality of clinical education a school provides.

bretticus said:
I wonder about this as well. I have a 33, which is good but nothing spectacular. I didn't do any research like one would think of traditionally. I did do an independent study in engineering however, so I'm hoping that helps me a little. Still applied to a bunch of top research schools though. We'll see...

You are a electrical engineer?

Why do they keep banning premed machine? Arg

Zoom-Zoom said:
Why do they keep banning premed machine? Arg

A 36 probably not. If we were talking about a 40+ then yea. However, if you have great activities and clinical experience you will be more than fine.

I got a 36 and did no research.... 3 waitlists. No acceptance. Most likely... reapplication.

I'm sure good ECs can make up for lack of research. There's many routes into medical school besides the standard some research + some clinical exp + some volunteering route.