Numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Res-J

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know of average GPA/MCAT for those accepted at MD/PhD or MSTP programs at various schools? The class sizes are smaller and other qualities like research experience have a greater influence, but I still think these average numbers could be meaningful. As for the specific schools, how about UCinci, UPitt, UChicago, Northwestern, and UVA? Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

hi resj - while there are no offical puiblished reports about gpa/mcat - i have written a little about this topic here:

http://www.intransit.us/faq/#6

i imagine that cinci's and uva's averages would be slightly lower than the other programs. remember that research experience/others also takes you far in this process.

http://www.bcm.tmc.edu/mstp/admissions_statistics.html

I think these numbers of pretty representative of the top MSTPs, numbers wise. What really sets people apart when you're talking top-20 schools is research experience.

If you want to know more specifically about NU and UChicago, feel free to PM me. I considered going to both schools and maybe I can give you more useful information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. Looking at the average numbers, would it be foolish of me to apply to only MSTP programs (~10 wide spread, not only top 10) with ~3.57 GPA, good research? Should I apply to some MD programs also?

A 3.6 GPA is not too low. It will also depend on your MCAT score (shoot for a 34+) and exactly how good your research experience is.

Most schools will consider you MD-only if you are not granted admission to MD/PhD. So I would encourage you to apply MD/PhD if that's what you want to do.

Why would you assume that Cincy's numbers are lower. They are NIH funded just like the others and my numbers were higher than those and I was waitlisted at Cincy at first and that was with research all throughout my undergrad career and over a year of full time research at the University of Cincinnati's College of Medicine. Some of my LOR's were from their faculty. Geez, I have never met people so hung up on numbers and reputations in my life. I chose UC because I have worked there and know the quality of education they provide their students and I'm from Cincinnati and wanted to stay near my family. The funny thing is that adcoms know what stat and rep wh*res pre meds are because they repeatedly questioned me on why I wasn't applying to a top 10 school and did I think I would change my mind and apply later. Grads from Cincy's PSTP now teach at Harvard and Hopkins so I guess they must be doing something right. I know this whole app process can make anyone crazy but it seems like a lot of pre meds need to grow up and get a life. How you are received at residency programs and for future positions will rest on your accomplishments not some school name recognition.

Perhaps reputation and ranking are just as important to some as location and other considerations are to others. To make a value judgement (e.g. calling people "wh*res") and assert the importance of one over the other for someone else may be a bit unfair. What does it mean to say that UCinci grads teach at Hopkins and Harvard, anyways?

It may be useful to consider grade/MCAT averages in guiding where you apply because at most (if not all) programs, ceteris paribus, if your stats are higher, the likelyhood of admission is increased. It seems like people ask about averages not to make any claim on the quality of education they might receive, but rather, to gauge their chances of admission. Averages are a matter of undeniable fact. The quality of the mutual fit between an institution and an applicant, to me, is what really counts.

Best of luck, Res-J.

Having just finished the gauntlet that is applying to MSTPs I think that I can safely say that numbers serve little more than as a guide. Numbers seem most important in landing an interview. Knowing people who know people from summer work or where have you can help here as well. If one of your PIs knows a member of an Adcom their letter can go a long ways with that program. Also your undergrad institution is seems to have some weight. Coming from a western state school I encounter a bit of bias at some schools and have been told that it can hurt you (note: not does but can) in the application process to have a less than prestigious pedigree.
In the end, however, after interviews the places that I was admitted to versus those that said no thank you ran counter to the trends of numbers and prestige. (I got in to the higher number bigger name places and rejected from the others) So good luck I am not sure that there is any guiding logic to the whole system. There are many stellar applicants and good programs so it has to become a bit arbitrary at some point.