nurse anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ka1999

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am very interested in nurse anesthesia. What I wonder is by the time I am able to enter the program (5-6yrs.), will there be any demand for them. I was told to think about physical therapy because there is a demand for them. I know that both program are expensive and I defintely want to be able to pay off by loans. I am very interested in both. I think I would be happy in either one, but I don't want to spend thousands on an education where I start out making around 38,000. Give me some feedback please.

Members don't see this ad.

FYI - I have 5 physical therapists in my class in medical school. I inquired of two of them why they had chosen to incur the time and expense of medical school, and both replied (in part) that pay for physical therapists has been declining over the last several years. This was not their sole reason for changing careers, just one of the factors. Just something you might want to look into in your area of the country.

Pilot-

I was interested in your mention of 5 physical therapists in your medical school class. I am a physical therapist interested in applying to medical school. Any idea how they handled the issue of career change in their personal statement and interviews? I consider skepticism about my motivation given the career change to be a major concern for medical schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was curious about whether or not students in the CRNA program are able to work full time or not. I would appreciate any info you guys find on this. Thanks!!

Originally posted by debsch:
Pilot-

I was interested in your mention of 5 physical therapists in your medical school class. I am a physical therapist interested in applying to medical school. Any idea how they handled the issue of career change in their personal statement and interviews? I consider skepticism about my motivation given the career change to be a major concern for medical schools.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I was studying for an anatomy exam and didn't check this forum. In regards to your post, I have not spoken to the PT's specifically about your question, but I imagine they said the same thing as every other 2nd career student:

"I always wanted to be a physician,and realized it was now or never. My career as a _____________ reinforced how much satisfaction I receive from helping others, and I decided to fulfill my dream of becoming a physician so I can make a difference in people's lives."

Or something along those lines...

By the way, I was asked in my interview if I was switching careers for the money. Have a good answer for that.