Nurse Anesthesiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will contribute to the PAC/medical organization which lobbies successfully for a federal law to restrict the use of the term "doctor" in clinical settings, or its inference.

That's one of the big things we need in this country. I am sick and tired of various "providers" not using their full correct titles. That's so unethical it should result in loss of privileges.

Why is impersonating a police officer a crime, but impersonating a physician not?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
The term “nurse anesthesiologist” just speaks to the insecurity of whoever uses it. There is nothing wrong with being a nurse anesthetist. Or a physician anesthetist for that matter.

Reactions: 1 user
I will contribute to the PAC/medical organization which lobbies successfully for a federal law to restrict the use of the term "doctor" in clinical settings, or its inference.

That's one of the big things we need in this country. I am sick and tired of various "providers" not using their full correct titles. That's so unethical it should result in loss of privileges.

Why is impersonating a police officer a crime, but impersonating a physician not?
I agree with you, but it is NOT going to happen. Nurses are too numerous constituency. and physicians are pansies that do not protect their their turf at all. Politicians are cautious not to step on the nursing lobby toes. . So the BS continues.
The first rhetoric that came from an academic institution touting the equivalency of NPS to Physicians should have endured a severe backlash from their physicians on staff. But theydidnt. So those organizations think it is safe to continue to devalue the medical profession on every front. We are dealing with the sins of the organized medical leadership of 10-20 years ago. If we dont hit the brakes on some of this stuff now, who knows what it will look like just 10 years from now. It is very sad and shameful. And even more sad and shameful are the patients being harmed during this experiment.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
this thread is still going? *sigh*... In my estimation this gives it life. Ignore it.

this thread is still going? *sigh*... In my estimation this gives it life. Ignore it.

Ignoring problems has always made them go away in the past

E1A57074-2EEA-4F33-B189-38ED3F364EE9.gif

Reactions: 5 users
All problems are clearly solved by talking about them on internet forums lol

yesterday-i-saw-a-book-about-how-to-solve-50-37462163.png

Sorry, i was just joking back at you. No offense intended. I just did not understand why anyone would care, the only word that I would think matters is "Physician".

All problems are clearly solved by talking about them on internet forums lol

yesterday-i-saw-a-book-about-how-to-solve-50-37462163.png

Reactions: 1 users
No matter how much they try, they’re stuck with the N word in their name. They can call themselves whatever they want. Everyone in the OR and the hospital knows who is who.

Members don't see this ad :)
The answer is obvious to reduce the tension and prevent stupidity. Work at the state level with your state anesthesia PAC and get AAs working in your state and integrate them.
Everyone trained to deliver anesthesia that wants to and is qualified to should be doing so.
Cowtowing to the CRNAs that rebel against AAs...like Seven Hills Anesthesia in Ohio recently did...only enables the mindset that some of these guys have that they can and should be doing it all...alone.
Seven Hills was considering AAs...CRNA started a petition to not hire them (under the guise of not being as safe as a fresh CRNA) and they bent the knee. Google searched the CRNA who started the petition and what do ya know hes a CRNA with two years experience blasting on twitter how CRNAs should be independently working and dont need the guidance of a residency trained Anesthesiologist.

That’s crazy. What was that CRNAs name?

These are the kind of name badges that should be required in every hospital on earth. Only available to MD and DO:

Yssf5FH.png

Wy3BEUq.png

These are the kind of name badges that should be required in every hospital on earth. Only available to MD and DO:

Yssf5FH.png

Wy3BEUq.png

Yeah, every facility I’ve worked at has had these (my current hospitals say MD in big red letters below my tag). I do think it’s important for places to delineate staff from residents, and most hospitals these days are changing their policies accordingly.

It’s nearly the only nursing-driven trend I agree with.

Isnt this backwards? How do you expect a PAC/organization to generate money to lobby without first getting contributions from donors to lobby for your goals in the first place?

I dont understand the reasoning. Because AAs need to be medical directed that is the reason CRNAs give that they dont want them. They wouldnt be the ones directing them

The reasoning is completely flawed and obviously just a ruse to block AAs from being able to work in what they obtained a Masters in. Its absurd.

There is grass roots movements happening across the states. Independent practice bill in Indiana was just pulled because of the surge of physician presence. If you don't believe that the ASA is going to do anything then join your state's Physicians for Patient Protection group and become involved. We are having an impact at the state level.

Reactions: 4 users
Agreed on the doctor bit. It’s not a protected term so anyone can call themselves doctor. Physician is a legally protected term so a nurse cannot call themselves a physician.

It’s a shame we can’t introduce ourselves as physician X without it sounding weird. The term doctor should realistically become a protected term within the context of healthcare. Not just because of nurses that decided to mislead patients, but also because of various “doctors” hawking supplements for health benefits.
Sorry, i was just joking back at you. No offense intended. I just did not understand why anyone would care, the only word that I would think matters is "Physician".

Except the term "physician" may not be legally protected for too much longer either depending on how fast things move. Psychologists just won a bill to be referred to as "physicians" in Oklahoma. Apparently it was for billing reasons (which sound legitimate) but they can now legally refer to themselves as physicians there if they wanted to and it's now completely legal.

Great video. Tell me this isn’t what got this user suspended?

EDIT - just saw that he cross posted this video a ton of times all over SDN. This needs to get out there, but i understand spamming like that isn’t allowed. Never mind.

Reactions: 2 users

EDIT - just saw that he cross posted this video a ton of times all over SDN. This needs to get out there, but i understand spamming like that isn’t allowed. Never mind.
In addition this user was warned about doing that with another post just a couple of weeks ago.

The video link doesn't work for me?

Is the part about decreasing residency spots true? If anything, I thought new programs were opening??

There are more spots last time i looked

That’s what I thought. Kinda discredits the entire video when you can’t even get your facts straight. That’s no better than the nurses.

Is the part about decreasing residency spots true? If anything, I thought new programs were opening??

Residency slots definitely aren’t decreasing. Funding is fixed from Medicare but hospitals and programs can just fund it themselves after getting ACGME approval to expand or start a new program.

I admit I missed that in the video. Ugh.

That’s what I thought. Kinda discredits the entire video when you can’t even get your facts straight. That’s no better than the nurses.
The number of residency spots per graduating American medical student has actually decreased. Programs are being closed. But in absolute terms you are correct. The number has increased. You might want to consider volunteering some time to the next video. In might not meet up to your standards, but the message it sends to the public is accurate.

they have now upped their gofundme to $100k they are at $60k already smh

Should we start a GoFundMe to rename anesthesiologists "Master Anesthesiologist" or "Commander Anesthesiologist"? I bet thatll show em.

I'm
Should we start a GoFundMe to rename anesthesiologists "Master Anesthesiologist" or "Commander Anesthesiologist"? I bet thatll show em.

Pretty sure we would be too afraid to anger our nurse colleagues or have no interest

Then they would just change their campaign to rename themselves Master Commander Nurse Anesthesiologist.
And they could then add MCNA to their alphabet soup, so they’d jump all over that.

Then they would just change their campaign to rename themselves Master Commander Nurse Anesthesiologist.
And they could then add MCNA to their alphabet soup, so they’d jump all over that.

Then its Lord Commander Anesthesiologist

I'm

Pretty sure we would be too afraid to anger our nurse colleagues or have no interest
Yep, this professions just made up of a bunch of p*ssies, unfortunately. Cant even lobby to protect our title.

Then its Lord Commander Anesthesiologist

Yep, this professions just made up of a bunch of p*ssies, unfortunately. Cant even lobby to protect our title.

They would advocate new programs to teach the nurses how to do everything to practice to the top of their licenses

Sorry to necropost, but I went to... a certain forum... and they don't seem to see the irony of the push for "nurse anesthesiologist," when "anesthesiologist," was termed specifically to delineate between physicians and nurses.

Sorry to necropost, but I went to... a certain forum... and they don't seem to see the irony of the push for "nurse anesthesiologist," when "anesthesiologist," was termed specifically to delineate between physicians and nurses.

I’m sure they won’t mind being called Doctor after they receive their DNP. Yes I easily trolled.

Reactions: 2 users
There's an OR scrub nurse going back to school for her DNP. Imagine that, someone who doesn't even take care of patients on a normal basis in her current job will be a physician equivalent once the 3 letters are added

DNP = Do Not Pay (because his/her services are not worth it).

I don't think it sounds strange. I try to introduce myself as "Hi, I'm Dr X, I'll be your physician doing your anesthesia." I emphasize physician so the surrounding CRNA's hear it.

I wish we could all get in a room and agree on terms. who cares what we call each other - as long as the CRNA's agree it is important to delineate, and that they would agree on a term that we could use and that they could use that clearly showed that they were different. Who cares if they think they are better. Good for them.

I've always said - let the public decide. But IF we do that, we need to stop playing in the sand box. Give CRNA's complete independence. Then sue their A*SS if we find them using any of our guidelines, any of our textbooks, any of our science.

Then don't let them work in MD hospitals. They can have their own hospitals. And again, let the public decide where they want to go.

IF we give them complete indepedence, we can then refuse to work in the same building as them. How many surgeons would go for this in a hospital?

I mean, maybe they are just as good. If they are, that will manifest itself. If they aren't, that will also manifest itself.

I don't think it sounds strange. I try to introduce myself as "Hi, I'm Dr X, I'll be your physician doing your anesthesia." I emphasize physician so the surrounding CRNA's hear it.

I wish we could all get in a room and agree on terms. who cares what we call each other - as long as the CRNA's agree it is important to delineate, and that they would agree on a term that we could use and that they could use that clearly showed that they were different. Who cares if they think they are better. Good for them.

I've always said - let the public decide. But IF we do that, we need to stop playing in the sand box. Give CRNA's complete independence. Then sue their A*SS if we find them using any of our guidelines, any of our textbooks, any of our science.

Then don't let them work in MD hospitals. They can have their own hospitals. And again, let the public decide where they want to go.

IF we give them complete indepedence, we can then refuse to work in the same building as them. How many surgeons would go for this in a hospital?

I mean, maybe they are just as good. If they are, that will manifest itself. If they aren't, that will also manifest itself.

You open up a place like that, I will sign up.

So you’re defending your professional identity by making vague homophobic and transphobic remarks? Seems like a winning strategy.

this is over-the-top ridiculous.

"institution as ancient as 'marriage' " Is not in any way homophobic. Maybe the poster is...but no one could tell by this comment. I mean..really. It is complicated subject, but someone that may be religious and believe that marriage is an ancient ritual with religious roots (and may even think they have historical context and background to prove this point) doesn't say anything about their feeling towards someone who has same sex attraction, nor about what that person feels about the governmental rights they deserve if they form a union with their loved one.

"or the identity of male and female is completely up for grabs" - this has NOTHING to do with transgender, trans-whatever. How can you say that the poster is scared (phobia) of transgender people based on this?

Isn't ridiculous generalizations the problem? Why are you making them then?