Nurse hoping to enter med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megalomax

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm an internationally educated nurse hoping to get into med school.

I'm here to look for information about my options.

I'd like to enter the field of sports medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm an internationally educated nurse hoping to get into med school.

I'm here to look for information about my options.

I'd like to enter the field of sports medicine.

Have you done any research? What i mean is upu are going to have to be a little more specific (have you taken any of the pre reqs, do you have a bachelor's degree ). Do you know anything about the application process?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I do have a bachelor's degree in nursing. I'm just gathering info for now a.k.a. i have no clue.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Wait. You have not clue as to whether or not you are a US resident or if you have the required pre-req's?

I know it looks silly but I have an ongoing application for Quebec visa and then to Calgary . I couldn't find a forum for Canada doctors and med students. I figured i shouldn't wait getting there, might as well look for info and then start immediately once I land.

I think I have satisfied biology, english, chemistry and other subjects.

Would my nursing course be enough as premed?

The bachelor's degree in nursing is fine. As far as the sciences, it really depends on the school, and nursing students are not required to take physics and organic chem. Some people argue about the general bio and general chem back and forth, but talk with an advisor, and see if the Gen Bio I&II meet the requirements--they can--again, it all depends on the school and the specifics. I say this b/c nursing students for RN are required to take A&PI & II,& Microbiology universally in the USA--and these courses generally require the pre-reqs of Gen Bio I &II and at least one semester of Gen Chem. Four year programs also require pathophys and/or physiology, which, can require those same pre-reqs. You have to dig into the details, credits, labs, full curriculum. Is the school offering a separate kind of bio or chem for nursing students, or they the same for pre-meds and other science majors? As they say, the devil is in the details. Personally, I feel it's the height of stupidity for any nursing school for RN to make some kind of watered down versions of Gen Bio I&II and Gen Chem. These are very basic sciences, and they require no dilution--for nursing students or anyone else.

Also, if you do a search, I believe you will find threads from Canadian students.

Aw, I took Physics, bio 1 & 2, microbiology, chemistry and biochemistry.

I had anatomy - physiology but I think it was 1 only . And Pharmacology.

I'll check with my school since were more on number of units than hours.

Thank you for your time. I'll try a full search later after my graveyard shift.

So far you're incredibly annoying because you're expecting this conversation to go like a personal text message conversation. Good lord. You've done no reading and you're expecting others to tell you what questions to ask. Be better.

But since it's already gone this far, there are two things you need to figure out first.

1. Citizenship/residency. If you're extraordinarily wealthy, and extraordinarily well-qualified, then a Canadian or US med school may allow you to take a med school seat without having permanent residency or citizenship. Otherwise, you have to compete as a citizen/resident for a med school seat, and the only way to pay for med school is via government funding (loans in the US, around $250k). A work visa does nothing for you. It is absolutely not predictable that you'll get resident status or citizenship, and it's pointless to attempt med school without it.

2. In-country prereqs. Your international coursework will not be taken seriously, although you must get it evaluated, and you'll "get credit" for having completed a degree. Generally you need to complete two full time years of study in the US or Canada, including the med school prereqs, with extremely high scores.

Pick a med school such as McGill, and start reading their admissions web pages. DO SOME WORK BY YOURSELF and don't expect everybody else to figure it out for you.

Reactions: 1 user
^^^ This. Start by reading some Admissions pages for med schools, and follow that up by reading the AMCAS pages (FAQs, Aspiring Docs, etc).

Reactions: 1 users
So far you're incredibly annoying because you're expecting this conversation to go like a personal text message conversation. Good lord. You've done no reading and you're expecting others to tell you what questions to ask. Be better.

But since it's already gone this far, there are two things you need to figure out first.

1. Citizenship/residency. If you're extraordinarily wealthy, and extraordinarily well-qualified, then a Canadian or US med school may allow you to take a med school seat without having permanent residency or citizenship. Otherwise, you have to compete as a citizen/resident for a med school seat, and the only way to pay for med school is via government funding (loans in the US, around $250k). A work visa does nothing for you. It is absolutely not predictable that you'll get resident status or citizenship, and it's pointless to attempt med school without it.

2. In-country prereqs. Your international coursework will not be taken seriously, although you must get it evaluated, and you'll "get credit" for having completed a degree. Generally you need to complete two full time years of study in the US or Canada, including the med school prereqs, with extremely high scores.

Pick a med school such as McGill, and start reading their admissions web pages. DO SOME WORK BY YOURSELF and don't expect everybody else to figure it out for you.

Sorry about that, it's hard doing searches on phone (that's why my replies are short) and replying to forums and I'm on straight on duty.

Thank you for the info.

I have talked with a few BSN nurses that have told me they took Organic / Biochemistry. Upon further prodding, I learned these are classes are targeted for nursing students. (ex: Organic and Biological Chemistry for nursing majors). Without commenting on the difficulty or breadth of these courses, it is very likely they don't fulfill medical school pre-reqs. After you do more research, I think you will find that you need to go back and complete most of the pre-req courses.

Reactions: 1 user
I have talked with a few BSN nurses that have told me they took Organic / Biochemistry. Upon further prodding, I learned these are classes are targeted for nursing students. (ex: Organic and Biological Chemistry for nursing majors). Without commenting on the difficulty or breadth of these courses, it is very likely they don't fulfill medical school pre-reqs. After you do more research, I think you will find that you need to go back and complete most of the pre-req courses.

I just talked to someone about it. I have to have my TOR translated first into US grading system. And yeah I'll have to take the pre reqs again as advised.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I have to worry about my prerequisites first.

Last edited: