Nurse practitioners want to end primayr care physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Exactly what my comments were about. Most states where they have the most autonomy are states that have large rural areas, which equates to a lesser amount of physicians wanting to practice there.
I don't think it has anything to do with the number of physicians anymore. Sure, it may have been easier for them to gain ground in those states with large rural areas initially. But now they're independent in populated areas like DC, Delaware, Rhode Island and Connecticut. It's easier for them to make the case to politicians and the public now that they're independent in a large number of states already.

Members don't see this ad.

Last time I checked 11-16 years post-high school > 4-6.

It's even more of a pronounced difference. Every year of our training is worth quite a few years of what they do, content/intensity wise. So to even start comparing years of study directly is doing physicians a disservice. We may spend 2-3x longer in training, but I guarantee we learn a hell of a lot more than 2-3 times what they do.

Reactions: 4 users
With a bajillion old people in the near future, I guess we need a dollar general version of healthcare for those with no options. Worst case, I'm going into FM and I'm not afraid to compete with NP's.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is you shouldn't have to. You're not in the same league as a NP.

Yeah... Difference is the NP has a union, and slowly are gaining more authority. While physicians are getting salary slashed, while expected to see more patients.

Just to be clear, the idiot who stared that AllNurses thread... yeah, not a single nurse in that thread agreed with him/her, and many told her she is an idiot.

It's so crazy to read this because in my 8 years of practice as an RN, none of nurses or NP that I've ever come in contacted / work with is fighting for this. They're happy working with / supervised by physician and having the doctor has back up when needed. They love their hours, their 6 figure salary and do not want the responsibilities of physicians....

Reactions: 2 users
Yea, trying to stay optimistic. One nurse doesn't speak for all of them. I'm sure there are some good ones out there. And I can't really fault (too much) a nurse that isn't particularly politically active but is willing to take a higher paying job if the opportunity presents itself.