Nurse to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannaBeMD89

Starting Over...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have a question to ask and would like some honest opinions. When I first started college I decided on being a Biology major. But due to circumstances with finances I had to turn to my parents to pay for my college. Well, my parents wouldn't finance my school for me unless I got a degree before my Bio degree so I could have something to fall back on. So i took up nursing, biggest mistake ever lol. I HATE nursing but I graduate in August 2009 with my LPN. Anyway, my main question is, what do you guys think I should do? Should I keep continuing my nursing major to a bachelors or just stop once I graduate from the LPN program and switch to a science major? And also, if you think I should switch to Bio, which degree is better? A plain Biology degree or a Biochemistry degree?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Kris

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Kris-

Speaking as someone who graduated with a degree in Biology (Pre-Medicine and Biochemistry) let me be the first to tell you that if you are planning on taking any time off there are relatively few positions in a clinical setting that you can get with simply a B.S. (at least in my area). My advice would be to continue with the nursing degree but take the science courses that you'll need to get into med school. Then, using your nursing degree, get your feet wet in a clinical setting for a year or so (I took a few years off after graduating--best thing I could have done--I was able to see many different sides of the medical profession so I have a better idea of what I'm getting into). Once you decide to apply to medical schools you can say that, yes, you've been a nurse but realized that you wanted more i.e. to be in charge of a patient's treatment etc. As long as you can reinforce the idea that nursing is not for you but becoming a physician is, I think medical schools would only look favorably on your clinical/nursing experiences. Don't forget those E.C.s too! Good luck!

If you hate nursing, I see no point in continuing in that major, though I'd certainly take advantage of the patient-care experiences you could gain with your LPN. It doesn't matter what your major is, as long as you take the med school prerequisites at a school which is sufficiently rigorous to prepare you well to take the MCAT. This usually means a four-year school, rather than a community college.

If you hate nursing, I see no point in continuing in that major, though I'd certainly take advantage of the patient-care experiences you could gain with your LPN. It doesn't matter what your major is, as long as you take the med school prerequisites at a school which is sufficiently rigorous to prepare you well to take the MCAT. This usually means a four-year school, rather than a community college.

Yeah, i think thats what would be best for me.. I will be working as an LPN during these years of undergrad, so that will be 4 years of patient-care experience....