Nurse vs DO vs MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diocletian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on my personal statement and I've been thinking about how a common interview question is "why do you want to be an MD instead of ______"? I'm having a hard time articulating this in words; vaguely it's because I've seen that MDs focus on the diseases themselves instead of a holistic approach and act in a "leadership/supervisory" role, which are two aspects that I want to be incorporated into a future career. As I understand it, doctors make medicine while other sub-MD roles only administer medicine. But I know this is a pretty shaky answer.

How are you folks handling this question? Why do you want to be an MD instead of a DO/RN/PA/etc?

Members don't see this ad.

MD student here: The main difference between the MD and other health professionals is that our traning is based strongly on science. We do not merely learn to carry out orders/procedures, but formulate a diagnosis/solution based on the clinical evidence. It is also true that MDs are more of leaders of the healthcare field, as you have pointed out.

I disagree with the notion that MDs focus on diseases rather than take a holistic approach. Medical schools do teach students to be humanists and to take into account external factors - however, diagnosis and treatment must be based on science.

The main difference between MD and DO is DO's use things like homeopathy, acupuncture, massage therapy, and naturopathic medicines. Basically, they're glorified NDs.

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm working on my personal statement and I've been thinking about how a common interview question is "why do you want to be an MD instead of ______"? I'm having a hard time articulating this in words; vaguely it's because I've seen that MDs focus on the diseases themselves instead of a holistic approach and act in a "leadership/supervisory" role, which are two aspects that I want to be incorporated into a future career. As I understand it, doctors make medicine while other sub-MD roles only administer medicine. But I know this is a pretty shaky answer.

How are you folks handling this question? Why do you want to be an MD instead of a DO/RN/PA/etc?
You really need to research this, if that is your understanding of DO's.

First, "holistic" is a buzz word usually used to criticize mainstream medicine, and has no basis in reality today. MD's (and DO's) are just as "holistic" as any other medical "provider," but they rely on evidenced based medicine.

Second, DO's are equivalent in practice to MD's. They learn OMM in addition to everything taught to MD's, though seldom use it in practice. They are a separate degree largely for historical and political reasons.

What do you mean by "make medicine"? Chemists at pharmaceutical companies are the ones who "make medicine," not doctors. Doctors (both MD and DO) are the supervisory/leading health care providers for patients in a clinical setting, with the ultimate responsibility for examining a patient, determining a diagnosis, determining a treatment plan and carrying out procedures and/or prescribing medications. Other mid-level providers such as NP's and PA's carry out some of these tasks, but are generally under the supervision of MD's and DO's.

The main difference between MD and DO is DO's use things like homeopathy, acupuncture, massage therapy, and naturopathic medicines. Basically, they're glorified NDs.

Haha kinda mean, but true. 100 years ago, allopathy was just one of many competing theories in American medicine. It dominated all others because it was based on SCIENCE and EVIDENCE.

And yes, DOs basically act like MDs in clinical practice. DO schools do still teach DO stuff, since they still are DO schools, but I suspect that even deans of DO schools know MD is better. :D

Haha kinda mean, but true. 100 years ago, allopathy was just one of many competing theories in American medicine. It dominated all others because it was based on SCIENCE and EVIDENCE.
LOL, well to be fair, if one actually charted outcomes and based treatment on evidence, 200 years ago Homeopathy would have won out. Giving someone water diluted in water is a lot safer for most things than random blood letting and surgical procedures without any attempt at cleanliness.

LOL, well to be fair, if one actually charted outcomes and based treatment on evidence, 200 years ago Homeopathy would have won out. Giving someone water diluted in water is a lot safer for most things than random blood letting and surgical procedures without any attempt at cleanliness.

200 years ago that would have been true, but by 100 years ago doctors knew about germs -> hence the rise of allopathy. :) Without science to serve as the base, allopathy is of course powerless

If you're applying to allopathic programs, you don't need to specify why MD specifically as compared to DO in your personal statement or interviews. They won't ask/don't care. Pretty much the main place the MD/DO debate takes a strong stand is on SDN.

As far as nursing goes, you definitely can focus on how you want to be the leader of a team/be responsible for the direction of care for a patient.Just make sure when you are writing your personal statement, to avoid being explicit about these distinctions and instead show your qualities that align most with being a physician through your experiences and motivations.

As I understand it, doctors make medicine while other sub-MD roles only administer medicine. But I know this is a pretty shaky answer.

Pharmaceutical researchers design drugs
Pharmaceutical companies make drugs
Pharmacists prepare medication (if it needs to be prepared)
Doctors/Nurses administer it

DOs do not corner the market on hollistic medicine. And while, yes, the MD (and DO) approach is very centered on the disease, it is because science has taught us that curing the disease directly usually is better than doing some pseudoscience correction to something unrelated and "allowing" the body to "take over". How many chiropractic adjustments does it take to cure AIDS? :rolleyes:

No. While some DOs (and also some MDs) may choose to incorporate some natural techniques into practice, this is not central to either education. The only key difference for DOs is OMT and a distinct advantage when it comes to admissions criteria. Also, please dont give NDs that much credit....

Yeah... this part may be true... but it in no way supports what is being said here about DO education. You are thinking ND, which is some cockeyed nonsense that is more prevalent in canada (I believe). DOs treat using modern medical science. There are several distinct disadvantages that DOs face as opposed to US MDs (which are outlined at length in other threads) but none if has to do with hokey naturopathic treatments nor the abandonment of modern medical science.

wow.....

You need to stop writing right now and do something to really understand what it is that a doctor does. Have you done any shadowing? There is no way that someone could have done that and believe what you have stated here.....

If you even so much as suggest what you have stated above you will not so much as get a single interview this season. I'd put money on it.

Nope, not true. I'm a DO student in my first year. This semester we had 34 credits. 3 of those were "Osteopathic Prinicipes and Practice," which consists of an hour of lecture and 2 hours of lab per week to learn OMM. The vast majority regards it as something to maybe be used for musculoskeletal complaints, if even that. Aside from that, just about everything was physiology, pathology, biochemistry, history & physical, and the like.

We don't have anything like "Introduction to Complementary and Alternative Medicine" (which maybe I should break down for you, since you don't seem to have much of a handle on this stuff: this is acupuncture, Reiki, homeopathy, and so on), which isn't unheard of at the "SCIENCE and EVIDENCE" based allopathic programs.

Stick to what you can passably pretend to know: Why medicine? You know, wanting to help people, intellectual challenge and curiosity, desire to be the captain of the ship. There's no reason to say why you don't want to be a DO, pharmacist, nurse, or the like.

Lot of douchebaggery and misinformation in this thread. But then again it wouldnt be an MD vs DO thread if there wasnt.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. While some DOs (and also some MDs) may choose to incorporate some natural techniques into practice, this is not central to either education. The only key difference for DOs is OMT and a distinct advantage when it comes to admissions criteria. Also, please dont give NDs that much credit....

Apparently it wasn't clear that I was joking :thumbdown:

What a crock of $#!+ (BAD joke if that was your intention).

Grow up.

These threads are getting ridiculous.

Lot of douchebaggery and misinformation in this thread. But then again it wouldnt be an MD vs DO thread if there wasnt.

:thumbup: maybe we can go read his douche blog now that we had a taste...

Yeah... this part may be true... but it in no way supports what is being said here about DO education. You are thinking ND, which is some cockeyed nonsense that is more prevalent in canada (I believe). DOs treat using modern medical science. There are several distinct disadvantages that DOs face as opposed to US MDs (which are outlined at length in other threads) but none if has to do with hokey naturopathic treatments nor the abandonment of modern medical science.

:thumbup: SpecterGT

Heavens cloud:

Could you be anymore of a misinformed *****?:thumbdown: I mean come on. Do a little research on something before you attack especially since you're a click or two away from learning about DO's. Im planning on applying to MD school, but i respect DO's and what they and don't consider it BS.

This is why I thank my lucky stars for adcoms.

Yeah, the knowledge you are expressing of the career you're applying for appears to fall somewhere between diddly and squat.

Here is our interview situation:

Me: Why do you want to become a physician?

You: Because they appear to act in a leadership slash supervisory role, which are two aspects that greatly appeal to me.

Me: The person at the desk will validate your parking.

There are approximately 5 million things you could say which would sound more knowledgeable, more self aware, more passionate, more compelling. Try and think of at least one of them

A doctor once told me that MD actually stands for "make decisions". I can apply my own clinical and biomedical science knowledge to make treatment decisions. This combined with patient interaction have shaped my decision to pursue and MD or some sort of clinical research or something like a nurse.

Hope maybe this helps (and feel free to tell me if my reasoning sucks, better here than with adcoms)

A doctor once told me that MD actually stands for "make decisions". I can apply my own clinical and biomedical science knowledge to make treatment decisions. This combined with patient interaction have shaped my decision to pursue and MD or some sort of clinical research or something like a nurse.

Hope maybe this helps (and feel free to tell me if my reasoning sucks, better here than with adcoms)

This is in my mind the key difference between doctorate and masters level training. I was recently told by some mid levelers that I am dangerously ignorant bc what I was saying didn't fit cleanly into some vignette. However what I was saying was supported by primary literature.... :shrug: