Nurses and Physician Assistants...Will they ever get along?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fejes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband spoke to his friend's wife, who is a nurse. She was apparently just promoted to head of her department. My husband mentioned to her that I was interested in going to school to become a PA. Her comments now have my husband asking me if I am confident about my decision. She said that there are few jobs for PAs, and that the only specialty that is growing is surgery. Overall, her comments were "tell her its not what she thinks it is."

Hearing this has me really disconcerted and angry. How would a nurse know about the job market for Physician Assistants? Are her comments valid?

Members don't see this ad.

Sadly,
Everyone seems to be trying to protect their "turf" nowadays by using discouragement,

Follow your heart.

Agape

according to reliable govt sources pa is supposed to be one of the fastest growing careers of the next decade. go for it, you will not ever have a problem getting a job

Members don't see this ad :)
emedpa said:
according to reliable govt sources pa is supposed to be one of the fastest growing careers of the next decade. go for it, you will not ever have a problem getting a job

From an interview I went to, it said:

From now until 2010, the increase in percentage of health workers in the field are as follows:

Physicians(MD/DO)-12.5%
Nurses-25%
PA's-52%

And like a *******, I chose the first. :idea:

fejes said:
My husband spoke to his friend's wife, who is a nurse. She was apparently just promoted to head of her department. My husband mentioned to her that I was interested in going to school to become a PA. Her comments now have my husband asking me if I am confident about my decision. She said that there are few jobs for PAs, and that the only specialty that is growing is surgery. Overall, her comments were "tell her its not what she thinks it is."

Hearing this has me really disconcerted and angry. How would a nurse know about the job market for Physician Assistants? Are her comments valid?

I suspect that this comment to your husband came from a disgruntled nurse who has no idea what she is talking about. Even NP's who do not care for PA's would not say that there were no jobs for PA's! That is complete nonsense. I personally do not doubt the US Bureau of Labor and Statistics' idea that we are the second fastest growing medical job in the country until 2010! The only faster is MA, which isn't really a professional job.

So, in summary, this person you are referring to hasn't the foggiest idea about what she is talking about. I would recommend you and your husband stop listening to her! Look at the site Monika referenced above, it will make you feel much better. Also, take a look at Monster.com and AAPA.org to look at those few hundreds of job openings across the country as we speak.

See, I could get through that explanation without insulting the NP profession even once! I am proub of myself :laugh:

Pat

Your friend seems to be showing her personal bias. Although PAs do not have the job market as RNs, I believe their prospects are very similar to NPs with them being interchangable in many cases. I disagree with the statement that you'll never have a problem finding a job. If you are willing to relocate this is indeed true; however, if you live in an area that has a PA program in relatively close proximity then there may be an oversaturation of PAs. It's stil got a great job outlook and it has great pay so don't let that nurse discourage you.

fejes said:
My husband spoke to his friend's wife, who is a nurse. She was apparently just promoted to head of her department. My husband mentioned to her that I was interested in going to school to become a PA. Her comments now have my husband asking me if I am confident about my decision. She said that there are few jobs for PAs, and that the only specialty that is growing is surgery. Overall, her comments were "tell her it’s not what she thinks it is."

Obviously the nurse your husband spoke to is wrong. I would simply present the facts to your husband and explain that there is sometimes animosity between the two groups NP vs. PA. Both great professions, but when you look at the professions side by side, the PA is obviously cut from the same mold as a physician. I suspect it would be easy for a person in a nursing position to speak about other health care professions thinking or acting like they know a lot more about them than you really do. Especially if they know the person they are speaking doesn't know anything about it. I would encourage you to find the following data and present it to your husband and see what he thinks about the career outlook between the two professions.
(Not that the nurse was encouraging the NP route, but I guess this is the nature of the question.)

1. Training and education
a. part time vs. full-time requirement
b. Clinical requirements, including total hours and diversity
c. pre-requisites for matriculation into a program and selectivity
d. Nursing model vs. medical model of education

2. Clinical practice
a. practice act in the state that you want to practice in.
b. areas that the profession you can practice aka options/limitations
c. Autonomy

3. Salary
a. starting salary and benefits
b. salary for specialty and earning potential
c. career outlook
d. average hours worked per week and salary!

Then evaluate your personal situation

1. are you already a nurse (RN), it is usually a requirement for NP school
2. How much to you want to make - PA's usually make more
3. Do you want to be limited in what and where you can practice? PA's can practice anywhere/anytime, with physician supervision. NP’s may not need a supervising physician, but a collaborating physician. It’s pretty much the same thing!
4. Would you rather be a physician or are you comfortable being a mid-level? If you are uncomfortable with not being the top dog, just go MD/DO
5. Are you unsure of what specialty you want to practice or are or are you confident that you want to practice in one of the half dozen options available to the NP's. (it might be hard to decide until you have experienced them.)
6. Does the state that you ultimately want to practice in allow you to prescribe as a PA. I think there are still three states that don't allow PA to prescribe (however, this is probably going to change someday soon).
7. Do you want to go full time or part time? Almost all PA programs require a full-time commitment. NP's don't require nearly the commitment of PA school and training, but allow nurses to obtain practitioner status while working and/or be a mom or dad.

There are probably many more options to consider, but these are the common comparisons between the two professions. I think for most people considering the two professions even if they are a nurse, the PA route is the better option unless they have other obligations that prevent them from being a full-time student or if they have a particular affection for being trained in the nursing model.

L.

Louisiana now allows PAs to prescribe...down to two states

hyperbaric said:
Louisiana now allows PAs to prescribe...down to two states
yup only ohio and indiana are in the dark ages now....and we all know about ohio, don't we......

emedpa said:
yup only ohio and indiana are in the dark ages now....and we all know about ohio, don't we......
Hey... what does that mean?

It just so happens that I am an Ohio resident. However, my husband and I are looking to move.. and I feel getting into a PA program out of state is just the thing we need to make that happen.

I have never considered becoming a nurse. I have however, considered becoming a Dentist. Considering how little a relationship I would have with my patients as a Dentist, and the fact that I would like to treat the whole person, I decided not to go to Dental School. I do not want to own my own business, and have no need to be the sole decision maker.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have regained my confidence that being a PA is the right thing for me!

fejes said:
Hey... what does that mean?

It just so happens that I am an Ohio resident. However, my husband and I are looking to move.. and I feel getting into a PA program out of state is just the thing we need to make that happen.

I have never considered becoming a nurse. I have however, considered becoming a Dentist. Considering how little a relationship I would have with my patients as a Dentist, and the fact that I would like to treat the whole person, I decided not to go to Dental School. I do not want to own my own business, and have no need to be the sole decision maker.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have regained my confidence that being a PA is the right thing for me!

Ah, that makes more sense now. Nurses in Ohio seem to own their legislators, making it a less than desirable place for PA's to practice. It seems fitting that a nurse in Ohio would be where you would hear that stuff from. Try taking a look at the Ohio Academy of Physician Assistant's website and see what they have to say.
Good luck,
Pat

Clearly, it's been already said but... I've seen many responses like this from those among the ranks of nursing. I honestly do not understand how such comments can be made because comments like this are not founded on facts but on, well, who knows what?

The best advice is to search it out and do the research of whatever profession. Shadow a PA or PAs and ask lots of questions.

Too many times nurses have a negativity towards PAs that I just don't understand and, personally, have given up trying. I've also meet and talked with very reasonable and nice nurses and wish my encounters like that were the majority but saddly, this is not the case.

If you want to hear how bad the PA profession is, just keep asking nurses and you will be told a small amount of truth and a lot of non-sense. If you want to know facts about the PA profession, talk with PAs, docs, PA programs, and visit physicianassistant.net and best of luck.

Good lord I'll be fried for this if the RN gang finds out, but........

Go be a PA. If it weren't for anesthesia school (SRNA currently) already using my nursing and ICU background, I would be packing my RN bags up and applying to PA school.

rn29306 said:
Good lord I'll be fried for this if the RN gang finds out, but........

Go be a PA. If it weren't for anesthesia school (SRNA currently) already using my nursing and ICU background, I would be packing my RN bags up and applying to PA school.

Yep!

Pat, RN, PA-C